The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 5, 1999, 11:26 PM   #1
BOGE

Why is it that a 2 piece Colt competition guide rod is too long to fit in a Kimber? It fit in a Springfield.
Old August 6, 1999, 08:12 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Boge, how much too long? It should fit in the Kimber if it fits others unless Kimber is offering a shorter than standard pistol. Are you sure that it is screwing in all the way? George
Old August 7, 1999, 12:00 AM   #3
BOGE

Correct. It is too long. Perplexing ain't it?
Old August 7, 1999, 12:01 AM   #4
BOGE

Correct. It is too long. Perplexing ain't it? Approx. 1/4 inch.
Old August 7, 1999, 08:23 AM   #5
motorep

Which model Kimber?
Old August 7, 1999, 12:33 PM   #6
BOGE

Classic Royal.
Old August 7, 1999, 09:29 PM   #7
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Boge, if you haven't already done so, I have to call Kimber on Monday anyway so I'll ask them what they think and post the response. George
Old August 8, 1999, 12:40 AM   #8
Daniel Watters

With the slide removed from the Kimber, place the Colt rod into the Kimber frame. My guess is that the rod doesn't seat completely against the frame shoulder. There is a cylinderical area on the back of the guide rod's head that is probably too wide to fit in the corresponding recess in that particular frame.
Old August 8, 1999, 08:30 AM   #9
motorep

The guide rod in my Gold Match is shorter than an aftermarket one, this allows the gun to be disassembled with a normal bushing wrench rather than unscrewing a 2-piece rod or using a pin-through-the-hole-in-the-guide rod method. It's still a full length rod, just about 3/16" shorter than you'd expect.It's a great idea.
Edit- BOGE, I don't see how a two piece rod can be too long.Even if it sticks out 2" past the muzzle (or a foot) it should still work. You're not trying to put the whole assembly in are you? What am I missing here?
Second edit- I just took the guide rods from my P14 and my Colt, both two piece, and installed each in my Gold Match, they're all interchangeable.

[This message has been edited by motorep (edited August 08, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by motorep (edited August 08, 1999).]
Old August 9, 1999, 08:37 AM   #10
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Boge, I spoke with Kimber and they are as dumbfounded as the rest of us. They basically said that there is no differences in their pistol that would cause this and had no idea as to why the rod won't fit. George
Old August 9, 1999, 09:58 PM   #11
BOGE

Well, I discovered the answer. After several attempts I discovered only after trying to thread the rod (while out of the gun) that it was not completely threading together. As I had earlier been reluctant to force the rod together when in the gun I was surprised. With a flashlight I looked into the female end and discovered detritus had gotten into the hole (I had kept it stored in my nightstand drawer unthreaded) thereby preventing the rod from going together completely. I extracted it with tweezers. Bizarre. Moral: keep your parts with holes in them stored separately in a box. I feel like a moron.
Old August 9, 1999, 10:21 PM   #12
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Boge, don't feel bad. You aren't alone. Not a day goes by that one gun or another doesn't make me feel the same way. George