The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 7, 2005, 10:40 PM   #1
wvrifleman

bsa scopes

now i know you people like to bash them.say that their junk,dont hold zero or whatever your reasons for not liking them may be.i bought a 6x24x40 contender from SWFA for 84.95.mounted it on a mossberg 100 atr in .270. i dont know why you all dont like it but it hasnt let me down yet.that mossberg dont weigh much with the carbon stock so it has a pretty good kick.that so called piece of junk bsa has held true shot after shot.maybe i got lucky and got a good one,who knows.you all blast them for being junk but i havent had a problem with mine yet.
Old November 8, 2005, 07:23 AM   #2
Trxxx

You pretty much get what you pay for with scopes.
Old November 8, 2005, 12:49 PM   #3
hksigwalther

How long have you had it? Have you looked through other (higher priced) scopes next to it? (Not by themselves but directly side-by-side with the scope you have.)
Old November 8, 2005, 09:18 PM   #4
O.S.O.K.132

not everybody can buy high dollar scopes, so buy what you can afford. i have a nikon it works well on my 270, i have bsa red dot works well, and im going to buy bsa 8x32x50 contender my friend has one without problems. i dont see anything wrong with saving money.

Andrew
Old November 12, 2005, 07:48 AM   #5
wvrifleman

if had this one about 6 months now.i try to get to the range at least once a week but usually turns into couple times a month.shot up a ton of paper at the range and never had a problem yet.and yes i have compared it to other scopes such as Leupold and Swarovski.optics on both of those are alot better than the bsa but my 270 is mainly a rifle for hunting.where i live and hunt i'm lucky to shoot more than 60 or 70 yards.if i was shooting in open terrain more or long distance shooting i would most definitaly be buying something with higher quality optics.
Old November 13, 2005, 02:11 AM   #6
Lycanthrope

I put a 8-32xx50 BSA Contender on a 7STW and it held under .5 MOA consistentlyand didn't balk at recoil.

I've shot a LOT of Zeiss scopes and I can tell you the extra $999 is wasted cash. You can get a decent scope for cheap. The lower priced scopes just have more QA problems and you may have to sort them out. Still....even if you have to exchange it 3x, you'll be ahead if money doesn't grow on trees for you.
Old November 13, 2005, 07:30 AM   #7
wvrifleman

as rough as some of the terrian is that i hunt,i'd much rather have this decent $85 scope compared to a $800 leupold.lot easier on my pocket if i should break the damn thing in the woods.
Old November 13, 2005, 12:54 PM   #8
Trxxx

Last Leupold I bought was about $299, not $800, (a VXII 3-9x40, if you're interested) and I confidently expect it to last me at least 30 years. Do you really expect your BSA to do the same? And when you look at the cost over the lifetime of the scope, what's $10 a year? I spend more than $10 per week on beer and loose women - that's over $500 a year - and frankly I think if I put all that money into scopes I'd be considerably better off. Certainly wouldn't need to worry about hangovers or embarrassing doctor's visits.

Sorry, wandering off the point.

Not trying to pick a fight, if you are getting good results with your BSA then good luck to you and good hunting. I've just seen too many people with decent rifles ruin the whole outfit by trying to save a few bucks on cheap optics. We've got a saying in the UK which I've always found to be good advice - put the money into the scope, not the rifle!
Old November 13, 2005, 10:06 PM   #9
hksigwalther

IMO, there is no need to go all the way up to $800+, or even $500. Plenty of much (optically) better scopes out there as low as $150-$300.
Old November 14, 2005, 07:46 PM   #10
Dave Markowitz

My Marlin Camp .45 with a 16# recoil spring (heavier than stock, and which dampens recoil) ate a BSA red dot for lunch after about 100 rounds.
Old November 17, 2005, 10:27 PM   #11
wvrifleman

yea yea i know you can get a leupold for alot less than 800.kinda overstepped that one a tad bit but you all get the idea.ran a couple more boxes thru my 270 snce last post and still no problems.held zero and shot true as the say it came out of the box.this monday the 21st,deer season comes in here in wv.between the atv,the truck and getting the rest of the way in on foot,i'll be giving it a pretty good workout.see what it does the first time i put the crosshairs on ol mossy and see what happens.
Old November 28, 2005, 06:35 AM   #12
wvrifleman

for everyone who still bashes bsa's for being a junk scope,cheap scope on a .270 - 2 deer - 0. took a excellent 11 point on first day and a small good eating button buck on 3rd day.went to the range yesterday just to satisfy my curiousity and its holding just as true after a week of heavy hunting as it did when i first mounted and sighted it in.
Old December 19, 2005, 01:43 AM   #13
Hello123

No way BSA. Sounds like a chant.

Man, I made the BSA mistake twice. When I acquired a muzzleloader and rifle within the same week, I put BSA optics on both. The muzzleloader was all over the map, which was corrected with a Nikon scope. The rifle had less than 60 round through it, when after sitting on the deer stand for an hour or two I decided to inspect a tweety bird. Low and behold all I saw was black. A shake of the gun and the scope sounded like a baby rattle. The prostaff optic also corrected that problem.