The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 3, 1999, 09:15 PM   #1
Mike Baugh

Does anyone know where I can get a synthetic stock on a 590 Mossberg shortened ? I called Mossberg and they would not do it . I need to take 1" off the length . Thanks , Mike...
Old April 3, 1999, 10:39 PM   #2
David Schmidbauer
Retired Screen Name

Mike

Why don't you do it yourself? I checked out the stock of my Beretta 1201 after it had returned having work done to it (shortened stock) and it doesn't look that hard. Cut it off where you want it, glue in some whittled wood to fit into the hollow stock, trim the recoil pad to fit the shortened stock and screw it back on.

The above is kind of a Reader Digest version but you should get the point.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Old April 3, 1999, 11:14 PM   #3
Daniel Watters

Another alternative to the wooden block insert is the Pachmayr Synthetic Stock Adapter. It has threaded inserts that match the screw hole pattern for the Pachmayr pads. Just epoxy the adapter in place, attach the pad, and grind to match the existing stock contours.

It is $5.50 from Brownells, and comes in two sizes based on screw spacing of the pad: 2.87" for Small and 3.12" for Large.

#692-921-287 (Small)
#692-921-312 (Large)

http://www.brownells.com/

Old April 3, 1999, 11:34 PM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Mike, the Gunny and David give sound advice but if you aren't comfortable doing this yourself, e-mail me. I've shortened several over the past few years. George
Old April 4, 1999, 09:58 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

If doing this yourself and first time, you trim a recoil pad by screwing it on, oversize and all, placing a couple of layers of masking tape on the stock forward of the pad, then trimming the edges of the pad on a belt sander. The tape protects the stock finish from any little glitch with the sander. Continue the stock lines on the pad. Most common mistake is to sand bottom of pad parallel with the barrel rather than in a line with the bottom of the stock. Looks like h--l. It takes practice to get it right, which is why smiths charge for the job. If you want to do it yourself, better practice on an old scrap stock.