The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 8, 2005, 07:59 PM   #1
fhp490

Curing Oven

I am interested in building a curing oven for bake on finishes.
I would like to build a horizontal type for long guns.
Does anyone have or know where I can find a set of plans.

Remember if you have to be a bear be a grizzly!
Old October 8, 2005, 08:28 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

Find a used restaurant equipment shop and look into a pizza oven. Won't be cheap though. A regular commercial oven may be big enough too, but most of them are gas.
Old October 9, 2005, 03:00 AM   #3
cntryboy1289

no need to spend a lot of money

If you are going to be doing this for several guns and don't mind spending a little bit of money and depending on how hot you want the oven to be, I can provide you with a link that has a very nice design for a curing oven. Here it is:

http://www272.pair.com/stevewag/heater/heater1.html

I built mine to oven cure Duracoat and I don't need as much heat in mine so I used a crate that I had on hand that is 44"x24"x20" and a piece of scrap plywood for the top. I put in a 2 lamp floodlight holder and put it on a dimmer switch. I use 2 75 watt flood lamps in mine but you can get more heat by using 2 150 watt bulbs. I painted the inside of mine with aluminum header paint which reflects the heat very well. I drilled a hole in the top of the lid for my thermometer. I have handle cuts on each end and I can close them off by using a piece of sheetmetal if I need to, but I normally leave them open to allow the vapors to escape. I drilled a hole in each end that lets me slip a wooden dowel through the barrels and allow the barreled receivers to hang or the shotgun barrels and recievers as well. Mine will get up to around 200*F, but I only use it at around 120* most of the time. If you are going to be using the KG Gunkote or another brand that needs more heat, use Steve's curing oven because it will get around 400* if you need it.
Old October 10, 2005, 07:31 PM   #4
fhp490

thanks

thanks cntryboy1289
Old October 15, 2005, 03:49 PM   #5
George R

Curing Oven for LongArms

I built mine from a steel locker and use 4 Home Depot heat lamps in ceramic sockets in the bottom. You can see a picture of it on my website www.gunblue.homestead.com. Go to the TR Gun Kote page. Duckboard inside and regular wall insulation outside. Gets to op temp 325 degrees in about ten minutes. Heat control is by an oven temperture control from an appliance parts company.
Old October 15, 2005, 09:23 PM   #6
cntryboy1289

Welcome

George, first off, welcome to our forum and to say I liked your web site. Look forward to talking to you.