The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 19, 2005, 01:46 PM   #1
spacemanspiff

shoot off - full size kimber vs micronized colt

some of you weirdos follow this stuff religiously, so to satisfy everyones curiousity, the wildman and i did a little shootoff. here was my challenge:

Quote:
we should do a shootoff: your colt commander vs my kimber. one magazine, 1000 rounds. he who has the least amount of failures wins. or are you afraid you'll keep limpwristing it from the enormous felt recoil of that manly cartridge?
we didnt do 1000 rounds, WA had to leave early to make SWMBO happy.
Quote:
Tell ya what Enslaved Drone Level 19, bring your Kimby tomorrow....well have a little competiton and THEN WE SHALL REVEAL ALL ON THIS BOARD......!!!!
so my challenge was about his colts reliability. but WA wanted to shoot for groups at 25 yards. we were using cheapo blazer 230 grs fmj's. loaded our mags with 5 rounds at a time, and shot 25 rounds, 25 yards, on dirty bird targets. my groups stringed vertical, all but 2 or 3 made it on paper, WA's stringed horizontal. he probably had a slightly better group.
however, my challenge of reliability left me the winner. i had no stoppages. lets see what spin WA has on his lack of reliability. will it be, a dirty gun? unoiled gun? limpwristing?

then we brought the targets in to 10 yards and did cqb drills, fire a mag from pistol at targets imaginary head, when empty transition to AR and fire at targets imaginary chest. again, WA's group size wiht pistol was slightly better than mine, and our AR group sizes were identical, except i was aiming low for gut shots and he was holding over to hit the bad guys chest.

then we did single shots at 1 inch bulls eyes and we scored evenly. we both missed by sizable margins.

mind you all, i never challenged his shooting skills, just the reliability of his weapon of choice.
Old September 19, 2005, 02:10 PM   #2
Wildalaska

Quote:
i had no stoppages. lets see what spin WA has on his lack of reliability.
Come on dude, I had two failures to feed in a reputedly finicky gun, both were at the end of our little contest...and you saw how slooooooooooooow the slide was going into battery...I mean you could see it feeding!

Cleaned it this am and ya talk about grunge! yuck! Just about five hundred rounds without a cleaning is sort of gnarly.....

Quote:
he probably had a slightly better group.
Probably?????

Hey what do you guys think of a shootin buddy that takes his AR to the range and then uses yours for rapid fire drills.....

WildthetruthcomesoutAlaska
Old September 19, 2005, 02:14 PM   #3
spacemanspiff

hey what would you do if your shooting buddy had a cooler-more-ninja-optic than you?
Old September 19, 2005, 02:19 PM   #4
stephen426

Why didn't you guys take turns shooting each other's guns to see if the groupings are caused by skill rather than hardware? It does stand to reason that the longer barrel usually has greater accuracy and the gun with looser tolerances will jam less frequently. That is why target guns often don't make great self defense guns. That is why combat guns can often have good accuracy but can almost never touch a good target gun.
Old September 19, 2005, 02:25 PM   #5
spacemanspiff

if WA touches an inferior kimber he'll turn into a pumpkin.
Old September 19, 2005, 02:34 PM   #6
Wildalaska

Good point..My TA31RCO is far cooler than your Tri Power.....

Thats becasue Enslaved drones, level 19, dont get magnification. Until you learn to shoot without magnufaction, you cannot get to level 18

WildsimpleisntitAlaska
Old September 19, 2005, 02:36 PM   #7
Wildalaska

Quote:
Why didn't you guys take turns shooting each other's guns to see if the groupings are caused by skill rather than hardware?
Spiff hasnt reached the Colt level yet, he is still stuck in the Kimber basement

And trust me, there is skill involved...

WildineedtostartshootinformoneyAlaska