The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 12, 2005, 12:13 PM   #1
FrontSight

Benellli Super Black Eagle II - Great or B.S. Hype?

Hi,

I'm new here, but I've been around firearms my whole life so I know a bit about them, but I'm not even going to pretend I have the knowledge and experience of a lot of folks in this forum. Kick *ss site, by the way.

Anyway, I have a Beretta 303 that I love, but it obviously won't cycle low brass, so I'm looking for a more modern shotgun that will handle everything.

So the Super Black Eagle II sounds awesome on paper and according to the company hype, but I also am hearing a lot of horror stories.

Bottom line: Is it as great as the company touts it to be, or is it a piece of junk with problems left and right, or is it somewhere in between?

My other two choices would be obvious - Beretta Xtrema and Winchester SX2.

Any help would be apprecaited!
Old September 12, 2005, 08:07 PM   #2
HSMITH

Don't know about the SBEII but my SBE left some to be desired. My Browning Gold 3.5" that replaced it was better, in fact it was a LOT better and if I could have brought myself to scuff it and paint it in dull finish I might still be shooting it. I bought a SuperX2 3.5", and found a fantastic shotgun. It is THE best autoloading shotgun I have ever owned, and the list of autoloaders I have had is extensive. Call the list 15 plus......

My SuperX2 just flat runs. It fits me great, and shoots where I am looking. It is far and away a better shotgun than my SBE was.

I REALLY like the 390/391 series Beretta. If the Xtrema is as anything like them it will be a really good shotgun. The early Xtrema models had a bunch of problems and Beretta was less than gracious fixing them, or I would have bought one to try. Jobs changed since it came out and now things aren't as easy, so I don't think I will buy one, but all recent reports have them as very good shotguns. You might want to check out waterfowler.com and see what the recent news is like.

Just one confession of a shotgun junkie on the way to helping himself reform, hope it helps.
Old September 13, 2005, 08:24 AM   #3
oletymer

Not that great. Most is just more import rhetoric. Buy an American gun and give someone a job.
Old September 13, 2005, 09:19 AM   #4
mathman

I don't have a SBE or SBEII, but I have an M1 field...I like it, but when I bought an 1100...let's just say that the M1 field doesn't get used as much anymore.
Old September 13, 2005, 01:16 PM   #5
FrontSight

Thanks so much guys!
Old September 13, 2005, 09:39 PM   #6
Bonstrosity

I have an M1 field and love it, i've had it since i've was 12 now am 20 and in 8 years it's been through a lot and not jammed once. Shoots slugs, lead, steel, whatever you put in it. very light and fast shooting too. I wouldn't want anything different or maybe I haven't tried anythign different but it's a great gun