The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 7, 2005, 02:44 PM   #1
Motorbike

PPK barrel press

Can anyone provide me a drawing/dimensions of a barrel press for a Walther PPK?
Old September 7, 2005, 06:50 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

I don't have a drawing or dimensions but.....
A few years ago when the Makarov was hot, several sources sold a simple barrel removal/installation press made from threaded rod, 4 nuts, and two plates.

The plates are about 1/4" to 3/8" thick steel, about 3/4" to 1" wide, by about 2 1/2" to 2 3/4"" long.

Threaded rod of about 3/8" is attached to the plates by drilling holes in the ends of the plates and putting nuts on the ends.

One plate has a brass or thin, hard plastic pad glued on to protect the muzzle.

The other plate has a hole in it large enough to pass the rear of the barrel.

Drive the barrel security pin out of the frame.

To use, place the rear plate on the frame with the hole centered over the barrel, so the barrel will pass through the hole.

The front plate is placed against the muzzle with the pad on the muzzle to protect it.

Tightening the two front nuts evenly will press the barrel backward, out of the frame.

To install a new barrel, reverse the plates.
The plate with the hole goes over the front of the frame with the hole center so the barrel can pass through it.

The rear plate is put over the rear of the barrel with the pad centered on the chamber.

As the nuts are evenly tightened, the muzzle passes through the hole in the plate, and the barrel is pressed in place.
Old September 8, 2005, 06:18 PM   #3
Motorbike

Works for me!

Thanks Dfariswheel, I took my PPK apart and what you describe will work. I will make the two plates out of 3/8" brass to help prevent marring the finish on a near perfect pre-68 German PPK. It also seems advisable to add some sort of a locating stud to guide the extractor slot in the barrel so it will line up with the slot in the frame.
Old September 8, 2005, 07:52 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

That should work fine, but I am not sure of the need. I have installed those barrels by just taking them down a bit until they are a stiff push fit. The pin holds the barrel in and there is not really enough strain to require a heavy press fit. Accuracy seemed unaffected by the very slightly looser arrangement.

Jim