The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 3, 2005, 10:12 PM   #1
aspen1964

00 buckshot choices?????

..I haven't had a chance yet to try my new win model 12 riot....has anyone gone to the trouble to test different ammo....?....will try Rem regular 00, fed tactical, and some others...Im 6'2" so not sure whether a reduced reoil is necessary...when i do get to fire this maybe i will get some butcher paper and compare patterns....opinons????
Old September 3, 2005, 11:10 PM   #2
kymasabe

www.sportsmansguide.com has some cheap Wolf buckshot that I've heard is pretty good. They also have some door breaching loads and SafetyDisc which I find intriguing and am hoping someone trys and reports on soon.
Old September 4, 2005, 12:15 AM   #3
Nnobby45

Ammo is changing. (has changed) Federal has incorporated the FliteControl wad into their tactical line. It's really the same wad used in their Turkey loads for tight patterns. It's LE 133-00 and is available from Ammoman by the case or sleeve.

From my cyl bore shotguns, this stuff delivers no pattern at 10 yds, 4" patterns at 15yds, and 7 to 9" patterns at 25yds. The wad controls the pattern, not the choke.

Other Tactical ammo, like Federal 132-00 8 pellet or Ranger LE 9 pellet, uses a standard wad, but still delivers tighter patterns than full buck loads. Remington has had their 8 pellet Tactical load for a long time.

If you like the biggest patterns possible, for indooors, then use full power buck with open choke, and remember that the pattern will still be almost non-existent at average fighting distance.

Hornady has followed with TAP (lead shot), and this ammo uses the exact same wad as FliteControl, and delivers patterns just as tight. It comes in Red (full power for semi-autos) and Blue for pumps. Not all semi-autos are reliable with these low recoil Tactical loads, and full power loads make sense in semi-autos.

Even if recoil is not a "problem", tactical ammo has proven itself well on the street at about 1125fps, and faster follow-up shots associated with lower recoil benefits all of us. All Federal ammo uses plated shot and penetration is even better than lead.
Old September 4, 2005, 04:51 AM   #4
12-34hom

Laddy buck.

Try Estates "eight ball" load, - 8 pellets of 00 buck.

12-34hom.
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life. I must master itas i master my life.Without me my rifle is useless, without my rifle i am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I Will. Before God i swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are masters of our enemy. We are saviours of my life. So be it until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.
Old September 4, 2005, 09:42 AM   #5
dfaugh

For HD

I like Sellier and Belloit 3" Magnum 15 pellet....No shot cup, so it spreads out like crazy...In my 20" cylinder bore Mossberg you get about a 24" pattern @ 40 feet(longest shot in my house)...At short range the muzzle blast will probably kill 'em

WARNING: The recoil from these things is,well, impressive, to say the least.

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old September 4, 2005, 06:31 PM   #6
Nnobby45

Quote:
I like Sellier and Belloit 3" Magnum 15 pellet....No shot cup, so it spreads out like crazy...In my 20" cylinder bore Mossberg you get about a 24" pattern @ 40 feet(longest shot in my house)...At short range the muzzle blast will probably kill 'em
Ah jeez, another Pilgrim who doesn't believe in the more than adequate power of low recoil 8 or 9 pellet loads, nor the advantage of fast follow-up shots in case there's more than one of 'em. Young kids these days.