The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 31, 2005, 08:48 PM   #1
los

Beretta Onyx Pro w/ recoil system???

Went to the Gun Show yesterday and traded my Spartan 12 gauge (new and unfired) and my used H&K Tactical .45acp for a pristine conditioned Beretta Onyx Pro 12 gauge. MSRP is $1895.00

The Beretta came with a fancy Recoil Reduction System that I believe is not factory. Although the fitment is precise!! The plate that connects to the actual butt has three pistons that extend about 1/2" and connects to the piece/plate that has the rubber butt pad attached. The system looks to be made of (polished) aluminum. It has 2 small allen bolts/screws on each side for adjustments (?) On one side of the aluminum plate it's marked "LOCK" and on the other side it's marked "UNLOCK".

It has no other visible (Manufacture I.D.) markings. Is anyone familiar with this type of recoil reduction system??

I'll post a few photos of the Shotgun tomorrow.

Thanks for any help!!
Old July 31, 2005, 09:48 PM   #2
Skeetin'870

i know that beretta has a recoil system on their new break open semi-auto that sounds like what you are talking about. A friend of mine's father has an onyx pro with the stock gel-tek and it is soft kicking you shouldnt have any recoil trouble and the gun will serve you well.
Enjoy
3 Head on the gun
4 Follow Through
Old August 1, 2005, 10:38 AM   #3
los

Thanks for your reply. I visited the Beretta site and studied their recoil system found on some of their Trap guns. They do not resemble the device my Pro came with. I think it's aftermarket.

Here's a photo....

Old August 1, 2005, 11:18 AM   #4
Skeetin'870

Are you sure that it is for recoil and not for the purpose of making the LOP longer. The gun may have been too short for the previous owner so he added this to lengthen the stock.
3 Head on the gun
4 Follow Through
Old August 1, 2005, 11:24 AM   #5
los

Well it's primary purpose, I believe, is to reduce felt recoil as the Pad will retract into the Stock when pressure is applied (acts like a Shock Absorber).

But I'll agree with you that it could also be used as and extension for LOP.
Old August 2, 2005, 10:37 AM   #6
los

Mystery Solved!!

After carefull inspection, I found the letters "RAD" stamped on the side of the pad plate. Did a search and this came up:

http://www.hartshooting.com/pages/357364/index.htm
http://www.hartshooting.com/images/R...perationBW.pdf

The RAD Recoil System is made by Hart Systems. Seems like this device can be adjusted in almost any configuration allowing the shooter to position the Butt Pad in any angle for optimum confort and controlability.

I'll take her out to the Range on Thursday and post a report sometime on Friday.