The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 28, 2005, 06:50 PM   #1
jim532

hunting at night...

Any of you guys who go on the hunt at night able to suggest a high quality portable spotlight? I wanna turn night into day. I've seen a lot that say 3 million candle power or even 10 million candlepower but candlepower doesn't say much, none of the ones I've seen have a lumens rating. Any help would be great.

jim
Old April 28, 2005, 10:57 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I use an old Q-Beam; I dunno, maybe 250,000 cp. I put a red lens over it to cut it down some. I also use a Streamlight SL-20.

All you need is enough light to tell the difference between a deer and a coyote, really. And if you're coyote hunting, you don't want all that bright a light. They shy away from it. I try to just barely catch the eye-gleam in the edge of the light and then turn it off and keep calling.

Up close, a two-cell flashlight works well to not spook them...

, Art
Old April 29, 2005, 01:37 PM   #3
MassHunter2190

I have a 3 million candlepower spotlight and a 10 million. The 3 million one is great for scouting deer or hunting coyote at night because it is much lighter than the 10 mil. But with the 10, I can see eyes at 5? maybe 6 or 7 hundred yards away. I can see the whole body at 300 yards. That thing is BRIGHT! No problems with either of them, ordered both from Cabelas. I guess it really depends on what your gonna be using it for.
Old April 29, 2005, 06:36 PM   #4
MeekAndMild

What states allow night spotlight hunting without a depredation permit?
Old April 29, 2005, 08:19 PM   #5
novus collectus

Quote:
Maryland. Just two species though, racoon and something else I can't remember now. Never done it though. I'm not sure if spotlights are allowed but lights are allowed at night.
Old May 2, 2005, 10:57 AM   #6
Ohio Annie

Please don't shine deer

Shining deer is illegal in OH even if you are not hunting. You have to be careful about using lights in hunting anywhere you are, as sometimes the regulations are not always in the little booklet you can get when you get your license. Best to contact your local Division of Wildlife guy and ask.

I know because in another life I am known as The Coonminator.
Old May 2, 2005, 11:11 AM   #7
20cows

Quote:
Texas

Edit: What's a depredation permit?
Old May 2, 2005, 11:33 AM   #8
novus collectus

Quote:
What's a depredation permit?
I assume it is a permit for ranchers to kill predators that are eating their stock.
Old May 2, 2005, 12:12 PM   #9
20cows

We don't need one of those in Texas. Any critter causing damage to personal property or depredating livestock can be dealt with. Even deer out of season, if they are destroying your pecan seedlings. But you're not supposed to harvest them in the same manner as during the hunting season (don't take the carcus to a packer, can't sell the hide of fur bearing animals and such).
Old May 2, 2005, 12:49 PM   #10
arthurrh

California allows predator hunting at night, except for certain areas. So basically you can do fox, bobcat, and coyote.
Old May 2, 2005, 07:27 PM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

If you can't get a spotlight, use a cast iron frying pan. Get some pinecones and soak them in turpentine. These are placed into the frying pan, lit and carried on the shoulder. Your horse should have a blanket placed over his rump to protect him from embers that may fall.

Now, you ride slowly until you see the deer. Stop, don't move and steady your horse. The fire will attract the deer's eye and hold it steady while your friend quiety and slowly circles around the deer to get in a shot.

Oh, modern days? What I was describing was done in Virginia and the Carolinas before the Revolution. Opps.
Old May 2, 2005, 11:12 PM   #12
JohnKSa
Staff

Hunting at night in TX is only legal with certain species.

It's recommended that you contact the game warden before a night hunting expedition to prevent misunderstandings.
Old May 5, 2005, 12:27 PM   #13
20cows

Hunting at night in Texas is legal for "non-game" animals only. That is animals that are not protected nor subject to hunting in the proper season. There's lotsa critters that fall into the non-game group (rabbits, coyotes, bobcats, coons, hogs, possums, cats, dogs, rats, mice, foxes, snakes, nutria, beaver, frogs, turtles, grasshoppers,.... like I said, lotsa critters).
Old May 8, 2005, 06:06 PM   #14
impact

Yep and any legal means possible. 22lr, FMJ bullets are ok. I even know some class three guys that hunt hogs with full auto MP-5s, M-16s. I wish I had that kinda money