The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 26, 2005, 07:23 PM   #1
just one question

what kind of sks do i need (and acessories

i want an sks and i want to customize it (if i get it) here is my list of things to do.

take it to gunsmith and make the trigger light

get this stock the (the sporter that folds) http://www.sksman.com/index.html

make it so it can take detachable mags (i have heard there are feeding problems but can be fixed) i like the 20 rounders and the 5 rounders http://www.sksman.com/index.html

get a red dot scope

and get this bipod http://www.sksman.com/index.html (2nd one down)

if it has this stuff i want to get rid of it ( if it has it)

bayonet lug

one of those nato grenade launchers

and any other uneeded bulk

what model will i need for this (so far i think i need one of the chinese ones)

also most of the redots i see are not for rifles does any one know of one in the 50 to 80 dollar price range

also is there any thing else i may need

thank you for any help or input you give

i probably sound annoying ( sorry)
Old April 26, 2005, 08:05 PM   #2
jefnvk

In addition to doing that, you have to change out enough parts to bring the foreign parts count to less than ten, else you are in violation of federal law.
Old April 26, 2005, 08:07 PM   #3
MassHunter2190

Ok, so I know nothing about sks's, but I looked around at the sights you posted anyways...

Quote:
and get this bipod http://www.sksman.com/index.html (2nd one down)
If your talking about the "NcStar SKS bipod", it mounts to the bayonet lug.

So I'm assuming you can't "get rid of the bayonet lug" if you want that bipod.

But....assuming my incredible luck/skill, I'm probably wrong...somehow.
Old April 26, 2005, 08:13 PM   #4
just one question

sorry

this would be my first milsurp. so i dont know the laws. i thought the ban was over and the only restriction was full auto

now i dont really want the bipod but it might be useful that makes all the foreign parts add up too.....

new stock
red dot
scope mounts (do they count???)
detachable mag

thats only 4 ?? now does removing the bayonet lug and other stuff make it illegal or not.

as you can see i have no clue what i am talking about when it comes to milsurp.

can you explain it easier for me please
Old April 26, 2005, 08:54 PM   #5
rbernie

I love my SKS's and consider then to be a superb all-around rifle, but I gotta tell ya - if you want detachable magazines, get an AK. The detachable SKS magazines are all pretty uniformly junk and the SKS design just doesn't lend itself well to making 'em work.
Old April 26, 2005, 09:50 PM   #6
jailbait

so in other words your stuck using stripper clips? I'm going to be buying one in the next six months or so, and intend to use it for my shtf weapon.

how hard are stripper clips to use? and when your transporting them, let's say in a back pack or tac vest, will the bullets fall easily out of them?
Old April 26, 2005, 09:52 PM   #7
jailbait

oh, and check www.combatstocks.com

http://www.combatstocks.com/ATI_SKS_...Stock_SALE.cfm

for your folding stock. they have a little better pricing over all for the sks stocks. i'll be getting the monte carlo stock for mine. just cause i hate wood.... plus i want to paint mine.
Old April 26, 2005, 10:10 PM   #8
riddleofsteel

Dont knock stripper clips on the SKS. With a slightly educated thumb the rate of fire is not that far behind a mag fed rifle. Indeed a trained squad of riflemen with SKS's and stripper clips can lay down an impressive field of fire. One you do not want to be on the wrong end of.

I have a folding SKS stock made by Combat relacements you can have for $45.00 in as new condition.
Old April 26, 2005, 10:27 PM   #9
jailbait

i was asking about... not knocking. i have no expierence with stripper clips and would like to know more about them. especially function...
Old April 26, 2005, 10:35 PM   #10
novus collectus

It takes a little practice to use the stripper clips but you get used to it after a few hundred rounds (and it doesn't take long to shoot a few hundred rounds in the SKS).

The bolt is held open on the last shot and you just stick the clip into the groove in the bolt carrier and just push down with your thumb on the catridges. Let me suggest a 20 round Chinese fixed magazine for your SKS. It is easy to replace the 10 round one and it is almost as good as a detachable magazine. It does take a whole lot more practice to fill it with 2 ten round stripper clips though.

The bullets stay in the clip pretty good when you are not loading the gun IMO.
Old April 26, 2005, 11:51 PM   #11
TPAW

If your looking for a shtf weapon, I'd go for the AR15 or AK.
Old April 27, 2005, 12:08 AM   #12
Destructo6

A SKS in as-issued configuration is about as reliable as you can get.

SKS stripper clips are very easy to use and about the fastest type of stripper clip I've ever used. They're also quite durable and inexpensive ($40 per 100).

A Chinese/Russian SKS clip pouch can be found for about $20, which provides storage for something like 280 rounds on stripper clips.

To echo the above sentiment, if you want an AK, buy an AK.

If you do decide to use a detachable mag with the SKS, be sure to keep the take-off parts, since you may want to put them back on before long.

Keep all of them clean.
Old April 27, 2005, 06:25 AM   #13
Mannlicher

I have never found it necessary to 'customize' or accessorize a SKS. They are cheap, reliable, and fun just as they are. I have seen some so 'mall ninjad' up, that they are hardly functional.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old April 27, 2005, 06:47 AM   #14
dfaugh

If you want detachable mags

Find an SKS-D or SKS-M which take AK mags...The "regular" aftermarket detachable mags are not the best for reliability...My SKS-M (which also has the advantage of having a shorter barrel than the milsurp models) has just a "nub" where the bayo lug should be, and came with a muzzle brake installed. Sadly, I can't put a folding stock on mine, as I live in the CSNY (Communist State of New York), which still has an "assault weapons ban". But depending on where you are it may be legal to put a folding stock on one of these.

Also, my SKS-M as WAY more accurate (although heavier) than any AK I've ever seen.

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old April 27, 2005, 07:05 AM   #15
Trapp

I put the Dragunov stock and a pawn shop bipod on mine. The factory stock was too short and I kept hitting myself in the face with my hand when I shot. Other than that I stick with stripper clips. I bought a mag that works well, It is just a hassle getting it in and out. I would agree to keep it stock, but like I said before about getting a fat lip from shooting.........
Old April 27, 2005, 09:03 AM   #16
dolanp

Ditto what dfaugh said, get a Chinese SKS-M or SKS-D and you don't have to hassle with changing it any.

To take any other type of SKS and give it hicap detachable mags you will need to start replacing other small parts with US-made ones to be legal.
Old April 27, 2005, 10:04 AM   #17
20cows

Quote:
In addition to doing that, you have to change out enough parts to bring the foreign parts count to less than ten, else you are in violation of federal law.
Quote:
this would be my first milsurp. so i dont know the laws. i thought the ban was over and the only restriction was full auto
The ban is over as far as ferderal law is concerned.
Old April 27, 2005, 10:06 AM   #18
dolanp

'89 Import Ban still applies.
Old April 27, 2005, 11:08 AM   #19
rbernie

Quote:
'89 Import Ban still applies.
Absolutely. If you change anything on the SKS from stock, you'll have to play the '10-imported-parts-or-less' game.

TAPCO makes it relatively easy to get the 10-count (via gas piston, op rod, stock, and magazine swaps) but you'll will be stuck using aftermarket removable mags that generally don't work as well as the ChiCom fixed mags. I've found that the 5-round Zytel mags are the most reliable in terms of feeding - I just leave 'em in and charge them via half-full stripper clips.
Old April 27, 2005, 03:23 PM   #20
Reidman

Just one answer.

I'm with Destructo Mannlicher and rberny. If you want to appreciate an accurate semi-auto milliary issue carbine thats cheap solid reliable easy to maintain and own and a hoot to shoot... then get an SKS. If you want something to chop-up customize and toy with... get an AK.
Old April 27, 2005, 06:34 PM   #21
Moe Mentum

I would go with an SKS, but instead of spending money on customizing, I would just buy lots of ammo and shoot the snot out it.
Old April 27, 2005, 07:12 PM   #22
jailbait

so where would one pick up a 20 round fixed clip? and the ban only applies to russian/chineese models. yugo models are in the clear.... or so it is my understanding.
Old April 27, 2005, 07:18 PM   #23
brendon_corbitt

These little mags seem to work quite nicely, problem is they're expensive

http://www.rifletech.com/mask1.htm
Old April 27, 2005, 07:48 PM   #24
brendon_corbitt

also i'm selling a yugo sks, i doubt you'd be interested in that model since it has the bayonet lug and grenade launcher. But if by some chance you are just let me know.
Old April 27, 2005, 08:01 PM   #25
Reidman

go here

One Question,
Here is a great site to go to before you modify an SKS. All kinds of info. I still urge you not to to anything more than crisp up the trigger.

http://www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html