The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 17, 2005, 03:50 PM   #1
IZinterrogator

Cheap non-FMJ .223 ammo

This new range that I have been going to won't allow the use of FMJ ammo on the rifle range due to concerns over ricochets. They will allow ballistic tips, hollow points, and soft points. What is the cheapest, American-made, non-FMJ .223 round that is over 60 grains? I have a 1:7 twist so I don't want to go below 60 grains.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old April 17, 2005, 04:41 PM   #2
fanoblack

Black Hills 60gr SP at Midway USA
Federal 64gr JSP at Miway USA
PMC 64gr JSP at (cheapest) at CheaperThanDirt.com

Couldn't you shoot 55 gr just fine? If so, there seems to be a lot more 55gr out there than 60 +. Just my thought.

fanoblack

I know eight languages, unfortunately only one is spoken by humans.
Old April 17, 2005, 06:16 PM   #3
IZinterrogator

I'd like to shoot some of the very cheap 55 grain stuff, but with the open tip requirement, I'm afraid I'll spin the jackets right off the bullets.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old April 17, 2005, 08:55 PM   #4
Zekewolf

You're not going to spin the jackets right off the bullets! Try some 55gr. soft points, hollow points, or some of Midway's house brand varmint ammo.
Old April 17, 2005, 09:06 PM   #5
fanoblack

Unless your getting something like 4000fps out of muzzle you should be fine with 55gr., I would think you're fine.

fanoblack

I know eight languages, unfortunately only one is spoken by humans.