The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 13, 2005, 03:52 PM   #1
Kirby

Cz O/u

I have been looking for a good begginer O/U. I ran a search and could not find much info on the CZ models. I am particuarly intrested in the Mallard and Canvasback models. Are CZ shotguns reliable, and if not what do you guys reccomend. Also, what are the differences and or advantages/ dissavantages of the double and single triggers? Thanks

Last edited by Kirby; April 13, 2005 at 05:12 PM.
Old April 13, 2005, 07:03 PM   #2
chris in va

All I know is CZ doesn't actually make them, but some company from Turkey.
Old April 13, 2005, 08:22 PM   #3
kudu

CZ shotguns are made by Huglu. They were imported by Armsco until January when CZ bought the import rights for the guns.

I have the SxS .410, marked 36ga. I believe CZ calls it the Ringneck. It has the single trigger. Beautiful well made little gun but the triggers are atrocious, with no good way to work on them. About 9 pound triggers on a 5.8 pound gun.

Double triggers allow the shooter to pick which barrel or choke to fire first. If you have never used them before, they are hard to get used to and may result in both barrels firing at the same time under quick or stressful shots. I have 15 or more shotguns and none have double triggers.

Single triggers are the standard, especially if the gun comes with choke tubes.
Old April 16, 2005, 05:33 PM   #4
saintjb

CZ-USA Shotguns

I just posted this to another thread about CZ, so forgive me if these comments are a repeat for some.

...New guy to the forum here, this is a great discussion. I own firearms all over the $$ map. I buy what works for me, not what will look good at the club. I own a Barretta O/U and an old Browning, which are fine shotguns. I have to tell you though that I shot a new CZ-USA "Canvasback" the other day, they are made by Huglu in Turkey. Just a simple plain Jane with a black receiver, 20G, with 28" barrels and it felt as good, and shot as well as almost any gun I have used. The wood metal fit was perfect, a little stiff which you would expect with a new gun. I ended up buying it for my grandson. Hell, may go get one myself. From my experience, I agree with quite a few opinions on this board, that maybe some of the US and more famous European manufacturers are living a bit too high off reputation these days and not putting much energy into new tight tolerence manufacturing. If anyone really takes a sincere trial of guns like this CZ, and is intellectually honest, they will agree.

From what I have seen of this forum, I am impressed with the honest and knowledgeable comments and discussions. If you don't mind I'll stick around a while.

Best Regards,
Saint JB
Old April 26, 2005, 10:19 PM   #5
David Berkowitz

I just bought a Huglu over under trap gun from De Haan.
As I understand it, CZ bought the rights to the field grade guns and De Haan has the rights to the clay sports guns but puts his name on them. Mine has the Huglu name.
I sincerely beleive this is the best dollar for dollar value around. Mine is not the entry level gun and has fancier "stuff", but the mechanics should be the same.
Everything on my gun fits well, wood to metal, etc.
The metal is forged and CNC machined. The trigger pull is fine but still somewhat stiff. I expect that on a new gun.
As word gets around on these guns, I expect the prices will go up substantially. If they start promoting and advertising, the prices will go up even more.
This Huglu gun has my recommendation, regardless of the importer.

Last edited by David Berkowitz; April 26, 2005 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old April 27, 2005, 10:14 PM   #6
GaryXD

I checked out a CZ Redhead 28ga O/U at the gunstore Sunday. I was VERY impressed. The quality appears to be as good as guns costing twice as much.
Old April 27, 2005, 11:51 PM   #7
Lawyer Daggit

I have been shooting a CZ sidelock S/S double barrel shotgun since it was given to me for my 18th birthday. (I am now 45 ) it still shoots as good as the day it was taken out of the box and is still 'tight'.

I cannot fault the gun and leaving aside it was an 18th birthday gift I would never part with it.
Old May 4, 2005, 11:15 PM   #8
biosciguy

CZ is in my opinion, one of the most underrated manufacturers/importers out there today. I would be confident in anything CZ puts their stamp on.
Old July 8, 2006, 07:29 AM   #9
malcyor

CZ Mallard Just Got it!

Hello,
Mike here, new to the Firing Line..........
Just picked up a CZ Mallard last night, I admit I bought it because I liked the look of the Double Triggers, and I got my first taste of shooting Doubles last weekend at the range, I was using my Mossberg Pump (835) against A guy with an O/U and another with a Semi-Auto.......
......they tore me up pretty bad =0)

Anyhow, first impressions:
Fit and finish are very good, engraving is obviously done by hand, done well, but just enough variation to beleive it wasn't machine done, triggers are a bit on the heavy side. Locks up with a cofident clunk, nothing appears loose or sloppy.

Range Report to follow!!!
Old July 12, 2006, 09:31 AM   #10
smoothpull

CZ o/u Redhead

CZ is a great value and not bad to shoot. Bought one earlier this year, 20 and have loved it. Like most guns out of the box it is slightly stiff but that has changed after 5-6 rounds of skeet. Great price for a good gun. Someone on the board might remember which gun mag tested some of the top o/u last year and the CZ 12 gauge came in second and I believe was the cheapest in the bunch. Good luck.
Old July 12, 2006, 07:17 PM   #11
USMC

I have the Ringneck in 12 ga and consider these shotguns to be an outstanding choice.
Great wood to metal finish!