The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 28, 2005, 06:02 PM   #1
Steamboatsig

How do timers work?

Is there a simple on off button that the range officer pushes or is it more advanced?
Old February 28, 2005, 10:19 PM   #2
MX5

Most timers have settings for instant, random or a set (fixed) delay. When practicing alone, I'll use a random delay. Push the button and the audible tone goes off at a random delay of between one and four seconds (depends on the brand). When I use the timer in a match I use the instant setting (timer begins when the button is released, others when it is pushed) and I determine the delay myself so the competitors can't anticipate the the tone.
Old February 28, 2005, 11:12 PM   #3
Jim Watson

And after that, the microphone on the timer picks up the muzzle blast of each shot. So your time from the start buzzer to your last shot is recorded. Most timers have some memory so you can do a review and see the time of every shot. That is good for practice, you can see your draw, your splits from shot to shot, your transitions from target to target, and your reload time.
Old March 1, 2005, 02:16 PM   #4
Steamboatsig

Thank you, that is what I wondered, how it stops timing. Because i figured if it was up to the person starting and stopping the timer it would be less accurate. Thank you.
Old March 1, 2005, 06:24 PM   #5
ted murphy

In the early days of IPSC they used stopwatches. Likely more than one way they did it but what I heard, they would blow a whistle and activate the stop watch to start, then the last target on the stage was a "stop" plate, when the RO saw that fall he would stop the stopwatch. Not the most accurate time system.

Bit before my time but I've listened to the stories of the guys who were around then.

Ted