The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 22, 2005, 09:37 PM   #1
justshootin

black powder in a .41 bh?

just wondering if it can be done?
i am sure it can and would like to try it just to see the [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] look on my dads face when i fire it off. Are there any accuracy probloms and how would the recoil be? ANY DANGERS? And lastly where would i find a starting load with say pyrodex and a 210 gr bbswc?
I want lots o' smoke.

if i am a fool, just say so and get it over with

thx guys
Old February 23, 2005, 12:58 AM   #2
Jim Watson

The correct load for black powder is full up to the base of the bullet with no airspace. Most times, filling it up more than that and compressing the powder charge will give a cleaner burn.

If you use real black powder or Pyrodex, you should have black powder bullet lube, the colored wax in ordinary bulk cast bullets will not keep the fouling soft. If you don't want to go to the trouble of buying black powder lubed bullets (and I don't know if they are available in .410") you should load with Hodgdon 777 (Triple 7) which does not need special bullet lube.
777 should be loaded to the base of the bullet but not compressed. I have shot it in .44 Special and .44-40 and it works fine with plenty of smoke and cleans up with clear water. Doesn't smell right, though.
Old February 23, 2005, 08:29 AM   #3
longspurr

ANY DANGERS? The blackhawk is strong enough you probably cannot hurt yourself or the gun - unless you don't clean it properly and it rusts. That said the LOADING process is where the danger is. Black powder ignites easily and should NOT be used in a regular powder measure. If you are loading just a few cartridges for fun you can simply dip the black powder up with the cartridge and shake the excess out until it looks right. Jim Watson was right about the loading procedure and alternate powder types. For just a few rounds the type of lube etc shouldn't matter - just clean promptly after shooting the few rounds.
Old February 23, 2005, 07:27 PM   #4
justshootin

Thanx fer all the great info.
I did not know i couldnt use a regular measuring device; thanx fer the heads up. I have no experience with black powder whatsoever. I will load 10 or 15 by hand and see how they work. Is recoil comperable to a regular 41 mag load?

And if anyone else can think of any more possible pitfalls with a noob, please chime in.

thanx again

p.s. which primer? i have cci mag and std primers. i assume since it ignites so easily a std primer will work just fine. Now to decide on which black powder to buy May as well have the right smell just fer nostalgia's sake.
lol
o ya, hot soapy water, right?