The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 25, 2004, 06:28 PM   #1
Made Man

Need Help with my SKS Front Sight

this is my first sks, though i have many different guns. My front sight is off center in the "ghost ring", it is a pretty far to the right. My question is, how do i adjust it w/out a sight adjustment tool???? All help is appreciated thanks
Old October 25, 2004, 07:12 PM   #2
45 Fu

Take a piece of wood, shotgun plugs work nicely, put it against the bottom of the sight, and tap it with a mallet until it moves to where you need it.

If the rifle is hitting then don't move it unless you need to zero.
Old October 25, 2004, 07:15 PM   #3
railroader

Made Man, have you shot your rifle yet? Just wondering because I have one sks that the sight is off center for it to shoot to point of aim. If my sight is centered the rifle shot to the right quite a bit. Mark

Last edited by railroader; October 25, 2004 at 08:26 PM.
Old October 26, 2004, 06:19 PM   #4
Made Man

Yeah i've shot it. Me and a couple of my cousins took it to a field and shot it at a dryer, bout 50 yards, not near far enuff but it was gettin dark and i wanted to shoot it. I mean, it was a dryer, i didnt even hit it and neither did they. I'm gonna shoot it tomorrow in the daytime, to see whats really goin on. I shot it before i bought it, when it had the wooden stock and it shot on target pretty good. I put a monte carlo stock on it and that was the first shooting with the new stock.
Old October 26, 2004, 08:17 PM   #5
45 Fu

There's your problem. Restock it, redo the zero. Be double sure you got the stock right before you go moving the sights. Be sure everything is right and tight.

WHat kind of stock did you use? Is it a sporter stock? Wood or synthetic?
Old October 27, 2004, 10:58 AM   #6
Made Man

Its a Monte Carlo stock, I'm not sure of the name brand but its synthetic. Glass and nylon. I am pretty sure its assembled right it was a "drop-in" installation. Im gonna shoot it today and see whats goin on. thanks for the info.
Old October 28, 2004, 03:03 PM   #7
Made Man

I shot that SKS yesterday in the daylight and it shoots alright i was hittin beer cans at about 100 yds. But thanks for the replys.
Old October 28, 2004, 04:27 PM   #8
45 Fu

Glad to hear everything turned out OK. Enjoy the SKS.
Old October 28, 2004, 05:51 PM   #9
Tom2

Front sight blues

I have a Chinese SKS that hit pretty far off center with the front sight centered. I could not budge it with a chinese tool, so I ended up soaking it with Kroil and beating the hell out of the base with a brass punch till it finally budged. Had to move it 30/1000 to the left to get the thing on target but now the thing looks screwed up being off center so much in the hood. So I bought an extra rear sight and had a machinist make me a moveable rear blade so I could do the windage adjustment from the rear. Now I only have to get the original rear sight out of the base somehow and I am in business! Someone makes a windage rear sight for SKS but I think it is plastic or some other sorry excuse. Think Brownells has replacement rear sights for SKS that allow windage but they are either peep or buckhorn and don't adjust elevation like the original does.
Old October 29, 2004, 10:52 AM   #10
Made Man

i had problems with moving the front sight, in fact i never did get it to move, but i didnt need to it shoots pretty close on target. Mine is a chinese also. Says norinco on it too. haha i dont know much about that though.
Old October 29, 2004, 02:35 PM   #11
Tom2

Continued

I was sure I was gonna break something on that gun, the way I had to whack the front sight base.(Used lots of Kroil penetrant) Eventually it moved but I think it is still too tight to use the windage tool. It was made back in 66 according to some internet data and is alot better made than some of the late commercial Chinese imports. But I wonder if they sighted in at the factory at all, or just sent them out as fast as possible? Maybe they used a barn as a target. Maybe they did not give a crap, noting they had about a billion expendible people in case one guy missed his target and took one back? If there is trouble, I guess it beats a 22 for the money?