The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 20, 2004, 02:51 PM   #1
Dean C

Firing pin for 39A

I just purchased a replacement firing pin for my Marlin 39A. I did not purchase it from Marlin (probably a mistake). It had a somewhat different appearance but had the features I felt were required for its purpose. I test fired and got the proverbial "click" not bang. Ok, I could not compare side by side of all features (the tip borke off mine and I can't find it) but, there are only a couple of areas that I see that are just a bit different. I could do some filing but don't feel like a purchased part like that would require modification to function properly. Here's my question: Is it normal to have to "tweak" gun parts that are purchased form 2nd source?
dean
Old September 20, 2004, 03:31 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

A properly made Marlin 39A firing pin should just drop in with no fitting.

You've just discovered the problem with non-original OEM parts. Nobody knows what standards and specs they're made to.

Consider this: If the part won't fit without altering it, what ELSE might be wrong with it. As an example, if any of several areas are out of spec, you could damage your rifles chamber area if the pin hits the barrel.
An out of spec part could also damage your bolt, and bolt's are tough to replace properly.

This is a real case of "Penny wise, Dollar foolish".

My advice is, send the part back or trash it.
Order a new genuine Marlin part from Marlin or Gun Parts.
A genuine part will drop in, and there's no chance of damaging your Marlin.
Old September 20, 2004, 04:05 PM   #3
Dean C

As usual, you come to my rescue very sound advice on possibly damaging other parts of my rifle. Thank you. Actually I bought the part for speed of delivery rather than cost. It actually was $4.oo more but I got it in 3 days. So much for 3 days, now I'm ordering one actually two from Marlin. At least the place I bought the bad one from will refund my money when I send it back.
Thanks again,
dean
Old September 20, 2004, 06:28 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

I recommend giving Marlin your rifle's serial number range. Threre's no doubt been SOME slight changes over the years, and this will insure the right part.

Good luck.
Old September 24, 2004, 09:53 AM   #5
eka

Marlin 39 parts

I bought a part from Marlin for my 39, it wasn't the firing pin, but a part in the lever assembly. I gave Marlin the serial number etc. and they couldn't determine which one of the several variations I needed. Anyway, I ended up placing my defective part on a copying machine and sending them the copy to go by. I finally got the correct part. Marlin was great to deal with and the parts came to me pretty fast. I was amazed however that they could not use the serial number to determine the correct part. I know they have manufactured firearms for a long time etc., but I just expected their documentation to be a little better. Still I love Marlins and my 39!

EKA