The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 30, 2004, 08:28 PM   #1
PammyGirl

Hunters Whatcha Think Of This One!!

This is from Tednugent.com-posted by Ted Nugent himself! The Outdoor Channel is trying to edit his show! They think teaching&sharing with other hunters the proper way to field dress a deer/preperations are too much for viewers to handle. Please read and tell me what you think.

posted by Ted Nugent on his forum-

NUGE
Moderator posted 08-28-2004 12:19 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am sick to my stomach this morning as I read a letter from The Outdoor Channel basically threatening us that they will pull our next show or edit it themselves becuz, get this ""Ted is cutting an open carcass of a deer to promote Outdoor Edge knives.. remove the graphic scenes.." Oh my God! The Outdoor Channel wants to eliminate the extraction of the tender loins from a hunting show, the #1 Peoples Choice Award Winning Hunting Show mind you, "real outdoors for real people" Outdoor Channel!! Does this scare the livin **** out of you like it does me? THE most important step in the honorable hunting lifestyle, the ultimate respect for these precious gifts by cutting them into family sized portions & they threaten to edit it out? "Graphic"!! HUH?? it is a dried bloodless deer carcass hanging as I cut out the loins articulating & showing absolute reverence for the precious beast & gift of protein. Who in God's name are these people? As real genuine WE THE PEOPLE Americans who truly care about honesty & decency in our beloved sport, I beseach you to, in goodfaith & courtesy, help me upgrade the network so we can properly be represented on the most powerful visible medium we have. If the best hunting show ever is canned becuz of this most basic, honest, natural, REAL, proper function, we are doomed as a culture. period. I do this with 100% goodwill & prositive effort to right an outrageous wrong. HELP!!!!

Write to them and tell them how you feel!

http://www.outdoorchannel.com/feedback.cfm

OR

[email protected]

Last edited by PammyGirl; August 30, 2004 at 08:32 PM. Reason: link to the outdoor channel
Old August 31, 2004, 10:47 AM   #2
mete

Thanks for that.So many americans want to remove themselves from reality. They only think of meat as something that comes from a supermarket wraped in plastic ! And new hunters are often lost because of it ,they have no idea what to do with the deer when they get it. I try to educate people, giving them a taste of my venison [ never strong and gamey, always delicious] and explaining the many different ways to cook it. I've even butchered my deer with young children watching . It's a wonderful way to give an anatomy lesson since you can point out parts such as the shoulder blade while explaining that they have one too....The media usually goes out of their way to show the blood and gore in war ,accidents yet won't the very different butchering of a deer.
Old August 31, 2004, 02:51 PM   #3
PammyGirl

Thanks Mete for your reply! I think Ted would appreciate it if you would join in with us at Tednugent.com and write a letter to the link I provided at the end of the post.

Thanks Again!

Pammy
Old September 2, 2004, 07:46 AM   #4
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

PJ O'Rourke once commented on a "Candid Camera" show he'd watched. Seems the stunt was to let the victim, a young actress, wander into 'a new butcher shop' where, get this: they had a live cow and showed you where the various cuts of beef came from. Suzi was thrilled and placed an order, then looked confused as they led the cow into the back of the shop. When the sound of a gunshot rang out, followed by the sound of a saw starting up, she actually became hysterical.

PJ thought it was fascinating to see how far we'd come from our agrarian roots; after all, where did Suzi Q think the meat came from?
Old September 4, 2004, 03:14 PM   #5
Paul B.

Pammy Girl. I wrote to the link you sent. I am a Hunter Ed. instructor for the state of Arizona. One of the filmes we show was the total treatment of gutting an elk from first cut to finish. I let them know of this and the reaction of the student, mostly kids. They absolutely love that film and when they write up their critique of the class, they say it is most instructive and one of the high points of the class.
I doubt it'll do much good in this age of political correctness, after all, the kids must be protected from reality. :barf: Wonder what happens when life and reality hit them smack dab in the chops sometime down the road.
Paul B.
Old September 6, 2004, 03:11 PM   #6
nygunguy

It would be great

If the Outdoor Channel would put something on about field dressing and butchering game. I guess they don't want to offend anyone, but all they need to do is put up a warning like TV-MA or somethig like that.