The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 30, 2004, 08:17 PM   #1
Trigerpulr

1917 Enfield Ideas

My father recently received a barreled 1917 action after cutting some trees down for one of his neighbors. My dad is left handed so he really has no interest in the thing, but he’s a bit of a gunsmith so he’s willing to build anything I’d like out of it and its mine.

I’ve heard that these are supposed to be amazingly strong actions and make a good base for some large bore rifles. I don’t have any interest in a dangerous game type rifle, but I’ve always thought it would be interesting to have a bolt action in 45-70.

Anyone ever heard of doing this or have any ideas on the subject? I’m very much in the brain storming stage so the floor is open.
Old May 31, 2004, 03:48 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

As you mentioned, the 1917 is a very strong action. For what it is worth, a friend of mine had one built in 458 and it works very well.

HJN
Old May 31, 2004, 12:25 PM   #3
Gewehr98

It's a good strong action to build basically anything with.

Here's my .236 Super (6mm-.270) built on the same action:

Neural Misfires
Old June 1, 2004, 08:41 PM   #4
Cris

300 H&H
375 H&H
375 H&H Ackley Improved

You pick!
Old June 2, 2004, 09:03 AM   #5
DnPRK

Some 1917s are good and some not-so-good. Many Eddystones had barrels torqued so tight that the receiver ring cracked. This makes the receiver unusable.

What condition is the receiver? If it is unaltered (still has it's sight ears and is not drilled for scope mounts), then you can restore it to military condition with parts from eBay, Numrich or other parts houses. 1917s are not being made any more, so the price of un-bubba'd rifles will continue to increase.

Trying to turn a military receiver into a decent hunting rifle is not cheap. It will likely cost more than buying a new or used commercial hunting rifle in the caliber you want.
Old September 13, 2004, 08:02 PM   #6
Doc RD

I have one done in 7 STW and she shoots great. It will do a <1" group (5 rnd) at 100 yds. with Barnes X 140's.

If it is a Eddystone then the barrel should be relieved on a lath before it is removed to avoid any cracks in the reciever ring.

They can be made into very good guns. Whatever you do with it, shoot it and enjoy it.

Later, Doc RD