The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 6, 2002, 10:17 PM   #1
5ptdeerhunter

How do I do this?

In a few weeks I am going to my uncles house for the holidays. He has a Llama handgun he would like me to take apart and clean for him. He isn't into guns as much as I am so he thought it would be fun for me. I have never cleaned a handgun before. All of my experience is with rifles and shotguns. But I am really looking forward to it.

The only stuff I know about it is that it is a Llama
.45 ACP
number of shots 10
length 7 7/8
weight (unloaded) 39 oz.
height 5 1/3 inches
sights adjust. sight for windage
stock gum
finish bright blue, chromed, engraved or gold damascened.

I only know this stuff because i asked my uncle to send me specs on it.

Any help is great. I would like directions that can help me and pictures if possible.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Fivept

Sorry my e-mail doesn't work.
E-mail me at:
[email protected]
Old December 6, 2002, 11:04 PM   #2
Jim V

As far as I know the LLama semi-autos are all of the 1911 pattern so the instructions of stripping the pistol should be the same or close to it. Try http://www.m1911.org or http://sightm1911.com for detailed instructions. Or stop by at http://www.1911.forum.com and ask there.
Old December 8, 2002, 02:51 PM   #3
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Depends somewhat on age of the pistol - - -

The older Llama .45 autos were generally similar to the 1911, but differed in some ways. Magazines did not easily interchange with 1911.

Newest ones are much closer to the 1911, and mags DO interchange with 1911. I've only handled one of the newest guns. If you can take down a 1911, you can take down a Llama.

If you are unclear on how to detail strip, best stick to field strip--Removal of slide assembly from the receiver group.

You wrote: "number of shots 10." The usual capacity is seven, and sometimes eight. there are some aftermarket ten-round magazines, but they stick way out of the mag well.

Best,
Johnny