The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 30, 2002, 08:00 PM   #1
FPrice

Winchester '94 and .30 WCF

I saw an old Winchester 94 at me dealer's tonight and need some info on it. It is chambered for the .30 WCF which I guess is an older cartridge. Is this caliber still available anywhere or does it have a safe modern equivalent?

Also, does anyone know a source of data for a manufacturing date? It is serial number 950,XXX. I think it dates back somewhere before WWII, maybe earlier because it had a statement on the barrel to the effect that it was safe with modern smokeless powder, something I would think places it around the changeover from blackpowder to smokeless.

Any Winchester fans here who can help me get some info on this rifle? If it sounds good, I might just make it my next acquisition.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai
Old October 30, 2002, 08:45 PM   #2
Old Fuff

The Winchester model 1894 you mentioned was 1 of 14,658 made in 1924. "WCF" stands for "Winchester Center Fire" and 30 WCF is the very common 30-30 cartridge. This round was one of the first introduced with smokeless powder in mind and Winchester was still stamping that notice about smokeless powder years after it didn't mater anymore. Yes, it is safe to shoot with modern cartridges
Old October 30, 2002, 08:52 PM   #3
FPrice

Old Fuff...

Thanks for the quick reply. The rifle looks in good shape, not nearly like it is over 75 years old. I guess I'm gonna make an offer on it.

Old October 30, 2002, 09:03 PM   #4
Old Fuff

Be aware that Winchester made the model ’94 in different configurations. Some have a higher collector’s value then others. The carbine with a round barrel is the most common. Full-length rifles may have octagon, round or half octagon-half round barrels. Magazine tubes on carbines usually go all the way to the muzzle, but rifles may have full-length or shorter tubes. Anything out of the ordinary that originated at the factory may boost the value. All are good shooters unless the bore is eroded or pitted.
Old October 31, 2002, 12:44 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

.30 WCF is .30-30

.25 WCF is the now pretty much obsolete .25-35.

There are others, as well.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 1, 2002, 10:20 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Mike,

I think the .25 WCF is the .25-20, not the .25-35. The Model 1894 was never made in the .25-20.

Jim
Old November 2, 2002, 08:43 AM   #7
FPrice

Update...

I went back the other day to take another look at this rifle. It has a 20" barrel (which I guess makes it a carbine?), full-length magazine tube, and a saddle ring. The finish has faded to what I think would be called a brown patina but the metal looks in decent shape with only a very few dings here and there. The wood is pretty good also. The seller wants $350 in order to have about 2/3's of what he needs for a new pistol he wants to buy.

Old November 2, 2002, 03:09 PM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

Oops.

I think you're right, Jim.

There's my mistake for the year. Darn, I was so hoping to get through the year with no mistakes.

Old November 2, 2002, 03:52 PM   #9
Old Fuff

Sounds like a standard saddle ring carbine, which is worth more then one that didn't have a saddle ring. The price sounds a little high for the condition you describe, but not too high. I'd try to talk the dealer down a little bit, but not too much. In any case if you buy it the value will catch up with the price before too long.
Old November 3, 2002, 12:27 AM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

Mike, I really have to hand it to you. I am lucky if I can get through a day without making a mistake. You have caught a few of them.

Jim
Old November 3, 2002, 07:06 AM   #11
FPrice

Jim Keenan...

"I am lucky if I can get through a day without making a mistake."

I have learned through personal experience and observation of others that the only people who don't make mistakes are those who don't do ANYTHING at all.

I hope that I do not make a mistake and pass on this rifle.

Old November 3, 2002, 12:03 PM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

So, Frosty, since I've only made 1 mistake this year, I've done ALMOST nothing, right?

Oh, and just so everyone knows, I've made PLENTY of mistakes here this year.

Old November 3, 2002, 08:08 PM   #13
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

An error? An ERROR!!!

Boy, I'm gonna write THIS one down.

I think that out of the last five blatantly erroneous statements I've made on TFL, Mike Irwin has caught me out on at least three of them.

I left my Madis book at work recently. Wasn't it the Winchester 1892 which was chambered for .25-20?

Best,
Johnny
Old November 3, 2002, 10:39 PM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

Yep, sometime around 1893-94, I think.

A buch of other rifles were also chambered for this round, including my Savage 23B.