The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 29, 2002, 03:45 PM   #1
waynej1

.45Colt/.45LC

Are these two cartridges one in the same? I've seen both mentioned in the same paragraph of articles on revolvers,but do not know the difference. Just thought I'd ask so I would know if the need ever arose. Thanks, Lonestar.
Old October 29, 2002, 04:11 PM   #2
Old Fuff

Yes they are. The cartridge is supposed to be called the ".45 Colt" according to some, but in recent years a lot of folks started to call it the "long Colt," to avoid confusion with the .45 automatic cartridge that is sometimes used in revolvers too. Anyone who starts an argument over this is some kind of a nut.
Old October 29, 2002, 04:13 PM   #3
Sundance

Yeah they are the same, but this thread will probably evolve into a right or wrong terminology argument. I used to think I was right about the one I used, but I have since learned otherwise, as I have heard VERY knowledgeable people use both terms. So I have decided that both are probably acceptable.
Old October 29, 2002, 10:54 PM   #4
waynej1

Thanks for answering. I do not want to start a war of the words with this question, just do not want to load the wrong round in the wrong place. I'm familiar with the .45ACP cartridge,but not the earlier forms of the .45. Just wanted to be sure. Thanks Lonestar
Old October 29, 2002, 11:30 PM   #5
jjmorgan64

I for one would like to thank Wayne, This is a topic which does not recieve the attention it merits on this board.

Seriously though the more of these threads I see the more confused I get

JM
Old October 30, 2002, 12:02 PM   #6
Marauder

For what it's worth. Way back in the 1880's there was another round known as the .45 Schofield. This fit the S&W Schofield revolver that the Army procured in limited numbers. It was shorter than the .45 Colt and had a bigger rim so as to work with the S&W extractor. The Schofield round would work in most Colt revolvers but you could not use the Colt round in a S&W. Some Colts due to manufactining tollerances could only Chamber 3 leaving an empty chamber between,due to the bigger rim, a few could not chamber them at all

Well, the obvious happened. Troops with Smith's got Colt ammo, and were left without a shooter. The Army preferred to issue Colts and they became the standard but they did make a shorter version of the 45 Colt round, with the same rim as the Colt that would shoot in both guns, though it may not have extracted well from the topbreak Schofield revolver. This was called 45 Revolver Ball (IIRC). So in the old days there was a short and long version of the 45 Colt.

Technically .45 Colt is the correct name. BUT, you can buy guns and ammo that are marked LONG COLT or LC so it is reasonable to refer to it as such. The only one who would argue about calling it Long Colt are insecure rectums who try to make up for their inadequacies by attempting to chastise others.

Last edited by Marauder; October 31, 2002 at 11:17 AM.
Old October 30, 2002, 12:51 PM   #7
kumma

but gun shop employees know.

i asked one knowledgeable gun shop commando what he had in 45 colt. he looked perplexed, turned and read the brands of 45 acp he had and said no colt ammo but we have winchester, federal and blazer in 45. i just looked at him and said thanks for you time. so there really is more to this than you know.
Old October 31, 2002, 11:12 AM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

There have been some really fun threads on this subject over the past year or so. Lots of give and take on both sides.

I agree that EITHER term is really correct.

Why?

Because both terms will get you what you need.

Sort of like going into a gunshop and asking for either 9mm Luger, 9mm Parabellum, or 9x19 ammo.

You're asking for the same cartridge.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.