The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 13, 2002, 07:38 PM   #1
Brasso

Franchi Question

I recieved a Franchi model 48 in 20g from my father. Last time he used it it functioned normally. I recently was preparing for a dove hunt and decided to use the Franchi, which I have not shot before. While checking to see if it had a plug I loaded up the tube. When I tried to charge it, it would not load a round. No shell would eject from the magazine tube for the carrier to lift into the chamber. The only way I could unload it was to hold the bolt open, push the bolt release, and simultaneously push the leaf spring holding the shells in the magazine tube. It simply would not cycle a round.

I don't have the instructions for this gun and the Franchi website is not up and running at 100%. Can someone tell me if there is a shell release button on this shotgun such as on some the other automatic shotguns, or is it just broke? I have also heard that high brass shells are needed to make it function, but that does not sound right, and I can't find any anyway.

Thanks.
Old September 13, 2002, 10:54 PM   #2
rugerfreak

Not sure about the Franchi----but I have a Beretta ES100 that unloads the same way. It will not cycle the shells through when the bolt is manually operated(like a Remington)---but it works just fine when you shoot it .

Unloading procedure calls for sliding them one by one out of the magazine by sliding over the shell stop with your finger. Or if I'm being lazy---shoot it empty---lol.
Old September 14, 2002, 02:35 AM   #3
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

I have sent the assem instructions, w/photos, by separate email.

HJN