The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 11, 2002, 09:44 PM   #1
Coronach

16g HD loads, over-penetration issues

Scads of 411 for 12g loads for apartment use...but little for 16g. The scenario is an apartment with some drywall and some plaster/lathe construction, ranges in question being very short (the barricade position would be within 6' of the door to the room). What size shot would the cognoscenti recommend?

Thanks,
Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old August 11, 2002, 11:18 PM   #2
Dave R

For under 10 yards, birdshot would be fine. It will basically be hitting as a solid block (almost) at that distance. And the small pellets will have less tendency to over-penetrate than buckshot would.

Shot size 6, maybe 7.5 would do fine.

It'll likely penetrate drywall at 10 yards, but not a whole lot farther than that.

If you're curious, pick up some drywall, head out to the boonies and experiment.

And let us know what you find.
Old August 12, 2002, 09:51 AM   #3
Coronach

Cool. That was kinda what I expected, I just wanted to know how low I could go.

Thanks,
Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old August 12, 2002, 03:26 PM   #4
dfaugh

at short range, almost anything that you can shoot from a shotgun, will make a mess of a BG...I've tried #7 birdshot..at 40-50 ft it (mostly) stops in a sheet of 3/4" plywood...would think a couple layers of drywall would be similar

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old August 12, 2002, 05:27 PM   #5
Coronach

When I end up getting a reloading rig, I'm gonna brew up a few Dave McC breath-mint loads, just to see what they do...

Mike

Old August 12, 2002, 08:12 PM   #6
KSFreeman

Whatever you decide, be sure and test it. Good to know contractors.
Old August 12, 2002, 09:59 PM   #7
Mannlicher

If the load from any shotgun is forceful enough to terminate the bad guy, it is most likely energetic enough to penetrate a wall as well, if hit at the same distance.

Don't forget, that the pellets do not care what gauge shotgun they come from. 00 Buck shot is the same size, regardless of the gauge gun. So long as velocity remains the same, each pellet will have the same energy from a 16, as it would from a 12.

Most folks dont have rooms 40 or 50 feet across, so you pretty much have to figure any shotgun blast inside a house is going to penetrate a wall........if you miss.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old August 13, 2002, 09:22 PM   #8
DMK

Quote:
If the load from any shotgun is forceful enough to terminate the bad guy, it is most likely energetic enough to penetrate a wall as well, if hit at the same distance.
I wouldn't want to bet my life of a load that couldn't penetrate drywall. Heck, I could throw a rock that could penetrate dry wall.

I'd think you'd be better off finding a load that patterns tight rather than one that won't penetrate building materials (or leather jackets perhaps?).
Old August 13, 2002, 09:40 PM   #9
David Wile

Hey folks,

In my opinion, forget drywall and use 12 No. 1 buck in a 2 3/4 inch 16 guage shell. Better yet, go for 16 No. 1 buck in a 2 3/4 inch 12 guage shell. Better yet, maybe a bunch of Double O buck in a 10 guage shell. Well, you get my point.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old August 13, 2002, 09:57 PM   #10
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Given yyour parameters - inside an apartment and ultra close range, most any load will do. I tend towards the heavier birdshot my self.

Several years ago, the South Carolina prison system suffered some guard casualties when the inmates figured out that the issue matteresses would stop the # 8 loads that the guards used. A buddy was the training officer and they tested various loads to counter this tactic. Their threshhold was # 5 shot. It would penetrate the 6 inch thick matteresses.

If you shoot in three carddinal directions from my house with buckshot, it would be reckless as the homes in my hood are not capable of stopping errant buckshot. My choice of first up loads is # 2 birdshot from a hoarded box.

You have to have a good idea of what's beyond your target or engagement area and plan accordingly.