The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 25, 1999, 12:43 PM   #1
longhair

ok let's say i'm in the market for a .223 cal. rifle (which i might be). it seems most of the people on here like the AR better than the Mini 14. my question is why? do the AR's shoot better, longer, are they more reliable then the Ruger? in other words why is the AR15 supposed to be better than the Mini 14. any help on this would truly be appreciated!! thanks!!

------------------
fiat justitia

[email protected]

Old February 25, 1999, 12:49 PM   #2
Rob Pincus

I think the AR has achieved 1911-like status in many peoples mind. They are both great guns.. but they are not the only guns. If I had choice, I'd choose the AR, it is certainly more throgoughly tested, easier to get parts for, hi-cap mags are plentiful, and maintanence is a snap.

If I had a budget, I'd buy the Mini-14, a few extra mags and important parts and still feel very, very well equipped.

To compare a $350 gun with a $1000 gun really isn't fair, but I think that three Mini-14s would certainly be worth more when the balloon goes up than 1 AR.
Old February 25, 1999, 07:08 PM   #3
Mikey

Had both - Rob's right!

If you're on a budget the Mini-14 is a good, rugged, reliable (though not real accurate) rifle. But accuracy is subjective. Like I ask my shooting friends when they ask what's the BEST this or that - What's your purpose? Groundhogs at 300 yards? NO WAY! Maybe at half that distance.

The AR15 has no such limitation (at twice the price!) but that's the one I chose to keep. All things being equal the AR is twice the gun if you can pay the freight. Is all the extra accuracy worth it? You have to decide that.
Old February 25, 1999, 10:36 PM   #4
Samuel_Hoggson

Years ago a friend couldn't believe I was sane to spend $600 on an AR. So he got a Mini. This guy is an accuracy nut. Needless to say it killed him to see that I could do 1 1/2" (irons) with the AR while he was getting (barely) about 3-4" with his scoped, fine, high quality POS. This was with handloads - Sierras, I think - not M-193. Anyway, you get what you pay for. Oh yeah, he sold the Mini and bought an AR - post-ban by that time. Live and learn.

------------------
Old February 25, 1999, 10:39 PM   #5
spleenandideal

longhair~

For looks and just plain fun--i.e. plinking, target shooting, varminting, cult-like devotion-- go with the AR.

For a cheap and dependable survival tool, a pre-ban mini14 with an aftermarket folding stock and a few magazines is still cheaper than a post-ban AR.

To do it right however, you need both.
Old February 25, 1999, 10:52 PM   #6
DC
Moderator Emeritus

I've had a Mini-ranch rifle for 13 yrs and would never get rid of it. Never has let me down
Old February 26, 1999, 12:30 AM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Suggest checking thread started by FlyerM14 entitled, "Follow-up on Sighting in Mini14."

BTW, I like both.
Old February 26, 1999, 08:57 AM   #8
vince weng

it is not fair to compare an AR-15 with mini-14. To me, mini-14 is more like AK type class rifle.
Old February 26, 1999, 03:06 PM   #9
longhair

I truly thank y'all for your comments, now.. what to do??? we'll have to wait and see
thanks again.......................

------------------
fiat justitia

[email protected]