The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 17, 1998, 04:01 AM   #1
yoni

Has anyone used the nightforce series of scopes by lightforce for tactical use specifically,but also any general feed back would be appreciated.We are interested in their mildot scopes.
Old November 18, 1998, 03:05 PM   #2
David

Risking offending the "bigger is always better" crowd, IMHO, grit your teeth, skip lunch, save your bucks, and get a SERIOUS SCOPE, that you can keep and use for a lifetime.

I've used a lot of them, and I am still most
impressed with the Leupold Mark 4 M1 with
USMC mil-dot done by Premier reticle.

You only have to buy a REALLY good scope once. The others? I wasted a lot of money
to figure it out. Even if you get a standard
Leupold with the mil-dot, my experience is that you'll truly be a lot happier in the long run.

Yes, the M4 costs an extreme amount of money, but I HAVE NEVER HAD REGRETS OR "BUYERS REMORSE" for sacrificing for this scope.

good shooting

david
Old October 8, 2005, 01:20 PM   #3
oldjad01

'Saving bucks' isn't the problem when your about to order a Nightforce NXS rather than an M series Leupold. The NXS in 3-15x50 to the 8-32X56 are about $1300 to $1500 or stated another way 'a little more than the M series leupolds'. They are used on 50BMG's w/o any problems as they are tested at 1200 foot pounds of recoil. All of the shooters I know that use them claim they are better in every way than the Leupolds. There will always be the discussions on which scope is 'better', but it will never be resolved. You can spend 2x as much and get a USA or S&B, Swarovski etc. then the 'saving bucks' argument is applicable, but the 'quality' and 'value' argument goes on. BTW, do the tilted crosshairs and side focus control problems that Lepold has experienced recently apply to the M series also. I haven't heard about which lines are affected other than the LR's. I would imagine that the M line is sold to the military would have a higher level of QC.
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, JimDee
Old October 8, 2005, 06:57 PM   #4
hksigwalther

Wow. Almost 7 years. I don't think I've ever seen a thread brought back up from the dead with that length of time before.

(Not taking any side here. got plenty of Leupolds I'm satisified with, though one did have to go back (old VariX-III). Will get a Nightforce in the future to try them out.)
Old October 8, 2005, 07:35 PM   #5
SageRod

Lightforce & Nightforce are synonomous. Like XOTIC, I think the test of time hasn't been realized. On the LIGHT side, those using them, really like them. I saw 3 of them (scopes) yesterday. They were mega-huge.