The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 3, 2002, 07:54 PM   #1
Al in Md.

Another new 870

Picked up another new 870P today. Purchased from fellow TFL member Sam C. who expedited on his end to conclude the transacton swiftly. This was my first internet purchase and went very well. Thank you Sam! The gun is NIB, walnut stocks, Blued metal, 20in. Barrel, Bead sight. Model# 24896. The deep Blueing on this gun is very attractive and looks good with the walnut. This is the second 870P I have aquired in 1 week! Now to another subject. I first purchased an 870P for my oldest son (Hey Sara Brady can do it) and I then decided to get one for myself. After waiting for several months for my dealer I Emailed Big Green on their website to inquire about 870P's with wood stocks. The response indicated that the Police models were Government and LE only and that dealers were not to sell through open channels. What is that all about? aren't the mag. dimples and stupid lockable safety enough? The reason I like the Remmy Police models is because of the lack of the Polit. Correct features. Has Big Green ever slapped the wrist of a dealer for selling "P" models to the unbaged public? How about the Police rifles? Al in Md. (the unbadged owner of 2 870P and 1 1187P shotguns)
Old June 4, 2002, 05:54 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I've been saying 870s are addictive(G). Al, congrats on your new toy. I never met an 870 I didin't like.

At the range I'll stop dead in my tracks to admire an 870, from a field model to a custom TD with gold birds on it.

As for the PC #$%^*, buying older 870s makes lots of sense.
Old June 4, 2002, 06:28 AM   #3
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Al, we have a police supply store just down the street. They are a long time Remington LE dealer and they sell any of the LE line to anyone.

Giz
Old June 4, 2002, 04:25 PM   #4
Al in Md.

Thanks for your responses Dave and Gizmo, I guess the last part of my post about Big Green company policy was more of a rant then an actual question. I know that 99% of the gun shops will sell Police model shotguns to non LEO's. However the Company line seems to distinguish between the "badged" and the "unbadged" and even if unenforced I find the policy disturbing. I have been lurking and learning much from this site and was surprised at the Email response from Remmy. I feel that this policy pushes further toward built in lock laws on all firearms in the future. If the gun industry had any stones at all they would not offer built in locks at all or make them optional. As an example I will not be able to purchase a new handgun without a built in lock in MD. starting Jan. 1 2003 unless of course you are "badged". For an example of a great pump gun manuf. they are getting a little to Politically Correct for my taste. The anti's want all of our guns even the ones with locks and mag dimples. Al in Md.
Old June 4, 2002, 05:11 PM   #5
9mmMike

If you think that two 870's is good, wait until you get three!
You probably already did this but if you have not, please take a minute to send Remington a concerned email or letter.
They are pretty good about replying, although they will lie. They do take note of pro or con letters so it's worth the effort IMHO.
Phone calls do not count for much as they are difficult to file.
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old June 5, 2002, 01:46 AM   #6
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Please do post the e-mail address for Rem - I'm lazy enough to not look it up, but not so as to not send 'em some of my thoughts. Would appreciate it.

No thanks here regards "extra safety modifications." The gun's got one & I've one between my ears - that equals two. No more to be said. & didn't care one bit for the dimples on the latest 870s I bought.

I must have (without counting) 6+ Rem 700/7s & 5 870s - can't seem to have enough of either. Great shooters all told, but I'll not likely buy 'em with any PC-crap. Used works as good as new ....

Al in Md., part of the manufacturers' ramp toward this PC-stuff is that states are requiring it. Makes sense from a manufacturing standpoint to offer the least amount of options - just cuts down costs. Best way to have offerings that we choose is to work it at the state legislative level. No slams at all intended.
Old June 5, 2002, 08:12 AM   #7
9mmMike

As you requested.

[email protected]

Consumer Services/
Parts and Service
870 Remington Drive
P.O. Box 700
Madison, NC 27025
E-mail: http://remington.custhelp.com/
TEL: 1-800-243-9700
Fax: 1-336-548-7801

PS. Yes I know that the line marked "E-mail" is not an email address. This is a cut and paste directly from Remington's web page.

Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old June 5, 2002, 01:20 PM   #8
hitnthexring

Police Model 870's

AlinMd, interesting post. Last year, I wanted an 870 with factory magazine extention, etc. I bought a regular 870, then found out Remington designed the 870 to not accept mag extentions & also lengthened the forend to prevent installing the side saddle. When I walked in the store to pick it up, I saw a new 870 Police Model with mag extention & short forend & rifle sights & NO STUPID LOCK ON THE SAFETY. The salesman let me trade the 870 for the Police Model even after I told him I am not L.E.
Old June 5, 2002, 02:50 PM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

"Never attribute to malevolence what is really just stupidity"....

The story on the longer forearm has nothign to do with the Side Saddle, since it's been around since the 60s. The longer forearm is for peo-ple with shorter arms. The fact that it's imncompatible with the forearm is merely chance.

They did lie about the dimples, tho. Solution, buy used....
Old June 14, 2002, 09:41 PM   #10
Sam C

new ones seem cheap

Al in Md., Have you shot the 870 Police I sold you? Hope you like it. I just bought another one. A good deal I couldn't pass up. Thing is, this one was made more recently than the one I sold you. I can tell because on this box is Remington's web site. IMHO, my new gun isn't made as well as the one I sold you. It feel's a lot cheaper. Yours is built like a tank, with a much smoother action than mine. My wife is from Ilion, NY, her whole family either works or has worked for Remington, so we always have to have a big green one in the house. Sam
Old June 15, 2002, 08:15 AM   #11
Al in Md.

Sam C. I haven't had the chance to take it to the range yet. Of course I cleaned (not that it needed it) and lubed and it is ready to go. Been working overtime and need to work out schedule conflicts with my son, perhaps Sunday if the rain lets up. looking forward to shooting it. Al in Md.