The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 17, 2000, 07:05 PM   #1
JAMES L.SMITH

does anyone know when u.s. used a j. stevens-mod520-30 riot gun?also any info on gun history/takedown would be helpful.
Old October 17, 2000, 07:38 PM   #2
9x45

The Stevens company produced a number of 'utility' grade pump shotguns under various brand names. New in the box condition, with original papers, about $200. Your best bet is to sell it at auction on GunBroker.com, and do not try to take it down.
Old October 17, 2000, 11:04 PM   #3
Badger Arms

World War II. Serial number range 25,000 to 70,000. It's supposed to be one of the more common of the WWII riot shotguns. I'd suggest you NOT take it down as there is no real reason to do this. If you want to, refer to my previous statement. Unless you have rust or some burning desire to look inside, I'd avoid too much fiddling with it. I'm going to say that the value is closer to $300 or more if you've got a Riot gun, more for a trench gun. This is as much as I know about it. This I took from the Blue Book of Gun Values.
Old October 18, 2000, 12:03 AM   #4
manny1

Mr Smith, I've noticed that your profile states that you are "into" gun repair. If so, why are you asking others how to take this gun apart, as you should already know this info, correct? There are many good gun assembly/disassembly books available at the local B&N, Walden Book or on the auctions that will explain in detail how to totally take down the Stevens 520/620 series of pump shotguns & most other shotguns. HOPE THIS INFO HELPS.

------------------
Old Chinese proverb: Life's tough enough. It's even tougher when you're stupid. No offense given & none taken.
Old October 18, 2000, 07:23 PM   #5
JAMES L.SMITH

thanks guys for the input.on the takedown question,i like to keep a file on how to repair each of my guns,i thought someone might know of any quirks of this gun.also to manny1 in searching my books i could only find 1 diagram of this gun,i am not a gunsmith,just a gun nut.i enjoy working on my own guns as needed.
Old October 18, 2000, 08:28 PM   #6
DaMan

I have a TM 9-1005-206-14P/2 which covers US commercial shotguns used by the military. It is dated November 1962 and covers the Stevens 520A and 620A...... so I imagine that there were still a few 520As in the US inventory at that time. I think a few of them also showed up in the SE Asia war games, but the 620A was the Stevens shotgun most often encountered.

Brownell's Encyclopedia of Firearms Parts and Assembly has detailed disassembly
instructions. For normal maintenance, You just need to remove the bayonette assbly. and remove the barrel/mag/action bar group from the receiver.

Regards! DaMan