The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 27, 2000, 02:08 AM   #1
gunmart

billings tactical buckshot is essentially a slug that acts like a glaser safty slug once it penetrates.I tried mine out today and here is the report.

I had no failures to fire or feed with my remington 1187.

I had one round out of 50 to open up prematurely causing the buckshot to scatter greatly.I don't know what caused it.It opened up to about a 12 inch pattern.i was standing at the 15 yard line.

I tried a penetration test. I got a 1 inch board and put it 5 feet in front of the target.I fired into the board and the round totally penetrated the board and only opened up about 2 inches into the target.

50 yards was the farthest I ever fired and accuracy was ok.nothing spectacular.

Conclusions.

I need to do more testing.>>>>>but they look neat.

I wonder what louis awerbuck thinks of them after having several shotgun classes behind him with them.

Old June 27, 2000, 06:51 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Good question,Gunmart. My problem is since standard rounds are so effective, why buy something that costs so much more,and doesn't
STOP any more effectively?

A shotgun firing ANY ammo at HD ranges is as close to a guaranteed stopper there is. Open the range up to 25 yards,still one the best.
Old June 27, 2000, 09:52 PM   #3
gunmart

Good question Dave.

The role of buckshot in law enforcment is much different than the role in home defense.(kinda)

Buckshot of course must be patterned in each gun to determine how wide of a pattern and how consintric your scattergun is opening.this can be a tedious thing.many departments require officers to ck out a differnt shotgun everytime they go out on duty .depending on the size of the department a officer would have to know and remember how each and every shotgun in the department shot with buckshot and this can get very aggravating.

When shooting a single projectile from a shotgun(slugs) you have less accountability of stray rounds missing the target and going down range.lawyers just love this when it happens.

thus the billings tac round kinda gives you the best of both worlds,slug like accuracy with buckshot like results.

buckshot of course gives simultanious hits and less penetration than a slug but does not pattern very well in all shotguns.

will the billings round solve all the problems with the shotgun?

no.but it looks good so far.
you asked so i answered.

Old June 28, 2000, 02:08 AM   #4
Bennett Richards

Does Billings have a website?

Thanks,

Ben
Old June 28, 2000, 06:42 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks, Gunmart. One thing...

Since I've used slugs on deer for nearly 40 years, I've noticed the old 7/8 oz slugs were the only ones that would not exit on a broadside shot. Different game there, you want an exit wound on deer for swifter bleeding and easier tracking. Reducing overpenetration in Police and HD is a worthy idea.

What you said about buckshot and different shotguns should be on a stone tablet someplace.It's a very good argument for shotguns issued to individual officers, like sidearms. However, out of all the shotguns a dept may have, MOST will have similiar results w/ 00. FEW will put slugs in the same place.

I see more usage of this round in Police and Tactical apps than in HD,but time will tell.

Old June 28, 2000, 08:58 AM   #6
gunmart

dave i see your point about the slugs hitting in differnt places but i was thinking at what distances buckshot could be deployed (up to 15 yards) that the slugs would be pretty darn close to being dead on in any shotgun.

anything past 15 yards and one would need to get a zero for hitting with slugs.
Old June 28, 2000, 09:57 AM   #7
Bennett Richards

Where can I find out about Billings Tactical Slugs?

Thanks,

Ben
Old June 28, 2000, 10:31 AM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Good point about 15 yards,but slugs really come into play at 25 or longer,Gunmart.

Also, I've not seen any shotguns that have same POIs for slugs and 00. Mine impact buck lower than slugs. Maybe the lighter ones would reduce the difference, somewhat.
Old June 28, 2000, 08:37 PM   #9
gunmart

i think one could use the billings rounds for cqb and then transition over to a slug at longer ranges.the billings would not reqire resighting your gun with two loads because you would sight your gun in with slugs at the long range and use the billings for the close.