The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 28, 2002, 11:02 AM   #1
Anthony

What is your Favorite Martial Art and Why?

Hello Everyone,

I am 32 years old, fairly good shape, and very experienced in the use of firearms, but am now considering the practice of a martial arts. What I am looking for is internal as well as external. I'm not looking for a quick fix seminar, but an art that can become a part of my life. Before starting, I want to hear from some of our experienced board members who practice martial arts...

What martial art do you practice? How long have you studied it?

Why do you personally prefer it to other arts? Why do you feel it is superior?

Is there another art you would like to study as well in the future? Why?

Do you know of any qualified sensi in the Dallas-Fort Worth area?

Thank you for the input.

- Anthony
Old April 28, 2002, 11:32 AM   #2
TaxPhd

Kind of depends what you want to do. Big differences between learning to defend yourself and learning new age Zen guruism.

I've played Judo off and on since I was 7 (almost 30 years). It is an excellent MA. However, many dojos are geared toward traditional Japanese style (formalized, lots of bowing, etc.) or Olympic oriented sport Judo. In spite of this, it ca an excellent way to learn grappling, without having to worry about strikes. Since Judo lacks any striking, you would have to get that somewhere else.

If I were starting out oday, and I were serious about it, I would want to study a mixture of striking and grappling. Probably Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu-jitsu/Judo.

While it is a sport, and has it's detractors, the UFC has shown what is effective and what isn't. From about UFC #8 or so, most of the contenders do a lot of cross training, and their styles tend to be a mixture of what works. Often referred to as simply Submisssion fighting. The early UFC's had TKD, Boxing, BJJ, Ninjitsu, Kung Fu, wrestling, etc. Almost without exception (notable was Keith Hackney), the guys that had grappling skill, wiped up the mat with the strikers. Notable was how poorly many of the traditional strikers did. Guys with TKD, Kenpo, etc., got their clocks cleaned.

HTH!

"Those who live by the sword are probably pretty f***ing good at it."

"Instructions for a successful gunfight: Front Sight, Press Trigger, repeat
as necessary." - B. Braxton
Old April 28, 2002, 09:01 PM   #3
DaveK

Never heard anyone say anything bad about Hsing I Chuan, as far as internal is concerned.

Internal seems pretty hard to find.

-Dave
Old April 28, 2002, 09:23 PM   #4
variantis

Hello Anthony -

First, I generally avoid posts like this. The right martial art is the one that "fits" you - and that is an entirely personal thing. I approached the martial arts with much the same desires you've mentioned, which is why I chose to reply ...

I practice Wing Chun KungFu. Have for 5 years. Decided on it because of it's reputation as streetfight/practical and it offered as deep an internal/Zen aspect as you choose to pursue (or not). I'm hesitant to publicly say it is superior to other arts, for as you know, it is the artist who is superior - not the art. But deep inside, I truly believe it is. The centerline concept that this HTH art is based upon has proven itself for me in full contact sparring against many, more experienced, opponents. Do not wish to sound arrogant, for truly - I am not, and I still have a long, long way to go.

Four hand-to-hand forms, (arguably) twenty-two hand movements, two (traditional) weapons forms, simple/low-line kicks, stance-structure-footwork - all to support a fight at (preferably) very close range.

Second form (ChumKui) - directly applicable to pistolcraft. As soon as you see it - you'll know.

I have studied pekiti-tirsia/escrima and BJJ. Both were practical, and I still practice BJJ basics that blend with my own art. Neither "fit" for my core art-though. I would agree with the taxPhd that a combination of grappling and striking is tough to beat. Hybrid arts will be the wave of the future.

I encourage you to do a lot of looking around. Ask if they spar, and if they spar full contact. Look for honest respect in the dojo/kwoon - but no hero worship. How many senior-level students remain is also a good indicator that a solid foundation exists. Whichever art you choose, good luck with it.
Old April 29, 2002, 12:46 PM   #5
CMichael

I think what is more important is the instructor rather than the style.
Old April 29, 2002, 03:21 PM   #6
chris93473

i like kempo because it's the longest i've been in. i would also consider martial science too, take that class for a year (total commitment) and you will be very very very very experience with martial science and a variety of weapons.

keep in mind tho, you can learn all the forms, learn every single move punch, and kick, etc. but if you don't pratice it (sparring at full speed), then the class is just a workout with no fighting learned at all.
Old April 29, 2002, 05:37 PM   #7
Skorzeny

I like Brazilian Jujitsu and Muay Thai - because I find them fun.

TaxPhd:

Kodokan Judo is an outstanding martial art and a sport. However, to be picky a little, "traditional" Kodokan Judo indeed includes an array of Atemi-Waza (striking techniques). In fact, old Judo books clearly express that many throws will not work without at least a distraction strike first.

However, as you correctly stated, most Dojos teach Olympic style of the post-1945 era, and do not teach the whole curriculum (including "self-defense" type techniques that resemble Aikijujusu or Aikido type standing wrist and elbow locks and throw, that cannot be practiced safely in "sparring" fashion).

Skorzeny
Old April 29, 2002, 07:53 PM   #8
DragonDog

I've studied a form of Ba Kua Kung Fu for the past 3 yrs. I wouldn't say it (or any other particular style for that matter) is "superior" or the "best." I doubt any serious student of any of the arts would say theirs is either.

I do know that it is a very straightforward form: most of the punches, kicks, blocks, etc... are straight, as opposed to some Karate forms with more spinning, jumping, and other footwork.

There's nothing wrong with those at all, but you have to realize that most of what you see Jet Li or Jackie Chan doing in the movies is stuff that most ordinary students would take years, if not decades to develop. Further, the use of such moves may not even be possible in many situations. Can you imagine doing a bunch of spinning, jumping, round-house kicks and blocks in the aisle of an airplane or a crowded restaurant?

I believe that the more straightforward the moves, the easier it is to learn in the beginning, and the quicker you will develop the confidence with which to defend yourself in a "street" (real-world) situation or encounter. Successfully defending yourself has more to do with confidence than with physical skills, anyway, IMO. You do need to practice - both to develop your balance and to attain some degree of "muscle memory" that will allow you to employ your defenses without even thinking.

But your best defenses are AWARENESS and AVOIDANCE. This is true of both martial arts and firearms. Your stated desire to study the internal/soft forms (e.g. Qi Gong or Tai Chi) makes it sound like you already understand this on some intuitive or fundamental level, and for that I congratulate you!

As for your other questions, I do not know of any one form that will train you in both hard/external and soft/internal arts. I am originally from Dallas, but haven't lived there for 12 yrs., so I don't know specific dojos, either.

Find a good, straightforward school of Kung Fu, and maybe they will have some Tai Chi or Qi Gong classes offered as well. Start out training 2 nights per week in the hard form and 1 night in the soft form. Here in LV there are several such studios that advertise themselves as "Shao-Lin" schools or academies, so I would start there.

Good Luck to You!! And have fun!!

--DragonDog
Old April 29, 2002, 09:33 PM   #9
boris_01

Seems like everyone does not want to step on any toes here. Most people state that no one style is better than another. But instead it is the abilities of the practitioner. I think that is true to a degree. In any style you need to be well practiced. BUT some styles are better for different purposes. Anthony, you stated that you want a internal as well as external art. Why? You said that you are 32? Pretty late to be STARTING a internal art that takes years to become adept at. And I always wondered why anyone would want to practice a art that does take so much time for the practitioner to be of any use? I, like skorzeny, have trained in Muay Thai and Jujitsu. Both arts are very simple to put into effect without taking years of foundation work and preparation. In Thailand KIDS are in the ring at like 11 years old. Muay Thai has few striking techniques. Boxing punches.( Jab, straight right or left, hook, uppercut.) Knees. Elbows. And kicks.( Push Kick and round kick.) Not many different strikes to learn, but HOW to use them is what is hard. And this is not something you can learn by doing a kata. This is learned in the ring. No stretched out stances. No telegraphed blocks. No start and stop everytime someone scores a point. Very basic without a lot of flamboyant movements.
Jujitsu takes it to another level. Because not every fight will be a total fist fight. Joint manipulation, chokes, throws and takedowns,grappling, all very practical techniques. And you will be able to use some techniques from day one, depending on how much you practice. Every class you add to your arsenal of techniques.
No art is perfect. But some are more practical. And why devote yourself to a art that takes so much time to be able to use it actually. Muay Thai and Jujitsu are arts that you will be able to use effectively in a years time. ( I said effectively,Not expertly)The longer you train, the better you will become. Now if you will excuse me , I must go meditate (sleep)and channel my inner CHI into some dreams of the Swedish bikini team.
Old April 30, 2002, 09:24 AM   #10
fubsy

Everyone has interesting points.....I study Isshinryu.....If you have a school near you, you might want to go visit. Isshinryu is straightforward, well balanced in techniques. As the kata's are learned it becomes more apparent how complete a system it is......there are grappling techniqes, akido techniques, pressurepoints as well as the striking and kicking(were do you think those strikes and kicks are designed to go).....because of the success of the ufc contests many schools have gone and further inhanced there grappling techiques, etc., you will find that in some Isshinryu schools that the instructors have gone and trained with various knife fighters and shooting self-defense schools and now make that training available out of their schools........... http://www.nashvilledojo.com .....I dont know were you are located but here is the School I started my Issinryu at, if you are close they are still first rate.......perhaps this link will help you locate a school near you.... http://www.isshinryu.net/dojo.html ............ and here is another listing of dojo's ..http://www.isshinryu.nxs.net/UIC/Dojo%20Locator.htm .......one other thing, not every kara-te student is a warrior, the instructors will teach them all they can handle and then some, but all who apply themselves will gain from their effort.............some leave because they dont like getting hit hard, some through lack of desire....its all up to you, and what you want to attain.....fubsy.

Last edited by fubsy; April 30, 2002 at 10:06 PM.
Old April 30, 2002, 06:31 PM   #11
ATeaM

"Kind of depends what you want to do. Big differences between learning to defend yourself and learning new age Zen guruism."

What he said. In my righteous opinion, all that "Eastern philosophy is so ancient and wise" is a bunch of hippie nonsense touted by those unable to find purpose in life. Testosterone replacement therapy would be a lot cheaper and effective, not to mention you don't have to walk around in pajamas.

Wait, I've only offended half of you, there's more-

Muay Thai is for [color=#FF0000]ā–ˆ[/color][color=#FF0000]ā–ˆ[/color][color=#FF0000]ā–ˆ[/color][color=#FF0000]ā–ˆ[/color][color=#FF0000]ā–ˆ[/color][color=#FF0000]ā–ˆ[/color][color=#FF0000]ā–ˆ[/color]. Burmese boxing is where it's at. Did you say headbutts are legal in the ring ? Hell yes ! Now there's a sport with some sack. Thai kickboxing pshhht...clinching and elbows are for girls. Oh, and BJJ ? If rolling around on the floor in spandex appeals to you, go for it. Real men fight on their feet.

*The above is ment in jest only, if you were shocked and offended, too bad
Old April 30, 2002, 07:01 PM   #12
boris_01

Ateam. HaHaHa! Although I don't agree with you on your choices, I do admire your expression of your point of view. NO HOLDS BARRED. Great. As for your opinion about eastern philosophy, I totally agree. Fighting is fighting. Religion is religion. The mystical, spiritual, philosophical aspect is for people avoiding the reality of the contact. But who am I? I'm just a [color=#FF0000]ā–ˆ[/color][color=#FF0000]ā–ˆ[/color][color=#FF0000]ā–ˆ[/color][color=#FF0000]ā–ˆ[/color][color=#FF0000]ā–ˆ[/color] who trains in Muay Thai and Jujitsu. HaHa!
Old April 30, 2002, 09:32 PM   #13
Caseless

Tai Chi Boxing

I practice Tai Chi (Wu style) and Tae Kwon Do. 10 years with the first form and 2 years with the second.
Overall I prefer Tai Chi because it doesn't require a lot of space, a 3'X3' spot is all I need to do all 100 moves in the form under 90 seconds. It also rejuvenates me if I am tired after a long day(practicing the moves slowly). In addition, you don't need protective gear to practice sparring with other students. However, it doesn't stress lower body movements, so I picked up Tae Kwon Do and Judo in college to exercise my lower body. I also hate to do the basic Horse Stance everyday (required for most Chinese styles)

It really doesn't matter which style you pick as long as you have a competent instructor.

Last edited by Caseless; May 1, 2002 at 01:45 PM.
Old April 30, 2002, 09:53 PM   #14
DaveK

Whoa!

I want to do Burmese boxing!

Any instructors in AZ?

-Dave
Old April 30, 2002, 09:53 PM   #15
Anthony

Ok Guys!

I'm really looking for some opinions here of WHY YOU like your arts most of all. Please don't sit on the fence. That does me little good.

- Anthony
Old April 30, 2002, 10:34 PM   #16
Carbon_15

Aikido is my personal favorite. I wouldnt say its the best martial art to learn for defence, but it sure is fun. Its so fluid, and you look so non-shalant while you toss your partner around the mat, seemingly effortlessly.
Full contact Filipino stick fighting is pretty fun too. Nothing puts you "in the now" like a stick flying by (or into) your head at 60mph.
I guess I'm different than most here, as I do martial arts more for enjoyment than defence. Not that it cant come in handy though.

http://carolinashootersforum.com/index.php
Old April 30, 2002, 10:44 PM   #17
ATeaM

Dallas-Fort Worth area is exploding with great MMA gyms. Lots of big names training in that town. If you are interested in Muay Thai, track down a guy named Saekson Janjira. He's considered the best Thai trainer in the U.S. at the moment, for what that's worth. Lot's of good grapplers out there as well.

I don't think high falutin' eastern type arts are big in Texas. Just a hunch. ...Unless of course your name is Walker, Texas Ranger.
Old May 1, 2002, 12:02 AM   #18
rage

25 years whacking a heavy bag and full contact sparring with a dozen different styles, including women.

Learn a basic style of martial arts. Hit the heavy bag. Add some boxing/kickboxing...make the bag sing. Learn how to use your whole body weight to strike...it's a timing thing also. Find opportunities to spar full contact as you develop your skills. Add some grappling techniques(Aikido, Wing Chung sticky hands, ninjitsu dirty stuff, etc.) Incorporate these techniques into your sparring. After a while, if you're serious, you get a sense of mastery and control.

Everyone's advice is right on.

Personnaly, I started out with basic Kenpo and boxing. Worked out with a Wing Chun guy, a Ninja, a boxer, an Aikido master...now I'm into sayoc kali knife fighting.

I guess my point is, it's not a class you take, it's a committment!
Old May 1, 2002, 02:47 AM   #19
David4516

I'm learning a sub style of Tae Kwon Do called Chung do Kwon (not sure if I spelt that correctly). It's working out pretty well, but finding a teacher might be hard as most of them live on the east coast.

I like this sub-stlye because you learn to use your fists too, in regular TKD all you really learn to use is your feet. It looks cool when you watch it on the olympics, but in real life you might find it useful to punch.
Old May 1, 2002, 06:57 AM   #20
Skorzeny

Anthony:
Quote:
Ok Guys!

I'm really looking for some opinions here of WHY YOU like your arts most of all. Please don't sit on the fence. That does me little good.
Okay, I'll bite. It all depends on what you intend to get out of "martial arts." I like Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, because basically I am a huge nut for Mixed Martial Arts (aka No Holds Barred fighting).

Muay Thai provides effective hand, elbow, knee and kick strikes (to watch a decent Thai boxer fight and demolish a Tae Kwon Do "world champion" in a minimum-rules striking contest is illuminating to watch) while Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu provides ground grappling techniques including escapes, reversals and joint-locks. Together, these two form two of the dominant fighting style components of NHB fighting. I also like the fact that both can be practiced full-force during sparring/Randori unlike something like, say, Aikido, which can only be practiced in Kata format with a cooperating partner.

Ultimately, I practice them because they are the most fun for me. I've trained in Tae Kwon Do, Shotokan Karate, Aikikai Aikido, Kodokan Judo, boxing, wrestling, Arnis and a couple of military combatives, and I find the above two the most fun things FOR ME (I trained in Shooto or Japanese Shoot fighting, too, but it's pretty similar to a combination of Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu).

Ultimately, I think that the so-called martial arts matter very little in real self-defense. They may be handy for bar fights, school yard brawls and the ring, not to mention the physical and technical attributes they build, but in reality I think that learning to avoid, evade and escape is much, much more important than learning how to land a shin kick to the thigh or putting on an arm-lock.

Skorzeny
Old May 1, 2002, 10:19 AM   #21
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

SHOTOKAN
http://www.24fightingchickens.com/shotokan/index.html
Old May 3, 2002, 03:58 AM   #22
Skorzeny

The kind of BS you should definitely avoid:

http://www-scf.usc.edu/~ninjitsu/

http://martial-arts-network.com/q&a5.htm

I don't know whether to sigh in disgust or laugh hysterically.

http://www.anabolicninjutsu.com/dux.html

A sarcastic treatment of his claims.

BTW, the man was knocked out badly by a third-rate UFC competitor from the early days (when there were a lot of one-dimensional, unqualified competitors) in an altercation.

Skorzeny
Old May 3, 2002, 09:20 AM   #23
ronin308

Skorzeny- Man...that guy really looks like an idiot doesn't he? A spy, an ancient underground fighting champion, studies a style from 2000 years ago....hahahahahahahaha!!!
Old May 3, 2002, 05:24 PM   #24
Skorzeny

ronin308:
Quote:
Frank Dux is undoubtedly one of the greatest martial artists a to ever walk the earth. It is an honor to have lived in the same era as such a great warrior.
Enuf said!

What I don't get is this. Reputedly USC is a university, so presumably it has students with some semblance of intelligence who understand logic (its debate team is actually one of the top ones in the country). Yet, how can "Dux-Ryu" be a brand new system developed by "Shidoshi" Dux and be 2,000 years old at the same time, considering that the vaunted "Shidoshi" is only about 45 (give or take 10) years old?

One's mind boggles!

He is not alone. Then there is Jerry Petersen, the "founder" of SCARS, who dresses up in black outfits, trying to look like a Ninja, and claiming (if I recall correctly) that he killed several NVA or VC soldiers with his barehands in Vietnam.

It must be testerone poisoning or something, because both the gun and martial arts industries are littered with frauds.

Skorzeny
Old May 5, 2002, 06:50 AM   #25
Bugflipper

Boy, some of these posts are hard not to flame on, but I'm not here for that. It is also my oppinion as well that no one form is better than another. First of all I would recomend a book Complete Conditioning for Martial Arts by Sean Cochran. This explains in brief the basic fundamentals and requirements for each of the major styles.
Ok I'm 40 years old, my father enrolled me in judo when we lived in Japan at age 10. I have been studying martial arts ever since. I believe the art you choose should depend more on your size and frame. For instance it wouldn't make since for a 350# man to learn kung fu.
I personally favor Brazillian style Judo and Jujitsu. No one form has everything, I was fighting points matches at 15, moved up to pit fighting at age 20, started shoot fighting at 22, moved into profesional fighting at age 23 and fought until age 37. I had to quit instructing and professional fighting to care for my wife when she developed cancer. I tried professional kickboxing at age 38 but quite frankley I'm not as young as I used to be.
The reason I state one form is not better than another, in 1986 I was 26, 6'0, weighed 212# with 8% body fat. I was beaten by Sung Lie a 42 year old 140# Chinese man who's dicipline was Kung Fu. Over the years I look back I may have fought 70-80 people who studied Kung Fu and the various branches stemming from it. Through ignorance I could say, well they didn't have much power, not enough to knock me out anyhow, and yes maybe they did have speed, but none of them beat me. But in reality given enough training and dicipline any of them could have beaten me.
Don't worry about age, I have instructed 60 year old women in the past. In reality you will be in better shape and if tought right will be more mentally focussed in all aspects of your life.
I've been a police officer for 15 years and instructed my current department for the last 8 years. I have had officers as old as 53 years to put moves into practice in real world situations after a few months, and not only make the difference in the assailant getting the better of them, but ocasionally meant the difference in a hostile situation turning into a trajic one.
I have studied Japanese Judo
Japanese Jujitso
Brazillian Judo
Brazillian Jujitsu
Muay Thai
Tiawanesse Tae Kwon DO
And currently checking into Kempo planning to start within a month.
As a rule Judo requires high upper body strength and low flexibility and speed.
Jujitsu requires moderate or above strength, moderate speed and moderate flexability.
Most other forms of martial arts require moderate strentgh, high flexibility and high speed.