The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 9, 2002, 06:00 PM   #1
mammoth

Cleaning a Turkey!

Hey All; Just wondering what some of your methods are for cleaning a Turkey...field dressing... to Table preparation! Skin on OR off...etc
Love to hear about it!
Jake

----------------------------------
From My Cold...Dead...Fingers.
Old April 9, 2002, 07:05 PM   #2
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Skin on is better, but takes a lot of pluckin'.

Any more, I just bone 'em out & cook accordingly, but you lose that traditional turkey-thing in the oven/on the table.

Wild turkey's are pretty lean (zip for fat that a store-bought's got) which helps in the juicy department when roasting.

Boning helps with that as it's more compact/easier to keep covered, or marinate before-hand.

Trade-off.

Better yet = get the kids to pluck.

Far as dressin' 'em - make a cut under the breast bone, stick your hand in there & take out everything. Wash it up & get it nice 'n cool soon as possible.

Some like the heart, gizzard, liver :barf: .... (decent enough though to use for makin' gravy 'n stuff)
Old April 13, 2002, 06:04 AM   #3
j-heart

Any visual information?

I'm going turkey hunting for the first time this month. I've never cleaned a bird before. Is there any visual information, such as a well illustrated book or video that shows one how to dress a turkey?
Old April 13, 2002, 09:59 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Well, just think of it as a big chicken, or a great, great big dove/quail. The main difference is that the heart, liver and gizzard are large enough to be worth keeping.

If you want to bake it in the traditional fashion, skin on, plucking is much, much easier if you dip the whole bird rather briefly into a big pot of almost-boiling water. This makes the feathers dramatically easier to pluck.

If you want to follow labgrade's ideas, disassemble it like unto a chicken. Probably got pictures of chicken-chopping at your local meat market. Or, just look at the pieces they sell you, already cut and wrapped.

Just boil the back and neck until the meat falls off the bone, and make soup.

FWIW, Art