The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 25, 2002, 02:24 AM   #1
max popenker

Benelli B76 pistol

hello

can anybody point out, how exactly worked the "delayed blowback" action of Benelli B76 pistol?

or, even better, had anybody have any exploded view or fieldstripped view of that gun?
Old March 25, 2002, 05:36 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

I have sent, by separate email, the disassem instructions, w/photos.

HJN
Old March 25, 2002, 09:04 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't know how much good this will do before you learn how to field strip the pistol, but here goes. (I don't have the manual handy, so my terminology might not be right.)

When the gun fires, the breechblock is locked down into its recess in the frame. The breechblock is allowed a slight movement under pressure. (You can test this by placing just the breech block in the frame and feeling it move when rearward pressure is applied.) This slight movement is transferred through the little "flap" at the rear of the breechblock to the block at the end of the slide (the part you have to remove to disassemble the gun). This kicks the slide back. The little round lug at the top of the breechblock has an upside down cone shape. This engages in a sloped surface machined into the top of the slide so that when the slide comes back, it lifts the breechblock out of its engagement with the frame and pulls it back. The slide motion then cocks the hammer and reloads the pistol as on any semi-auto pistol.

The breech is adequately locked, while the barrel is firmly fixed in the frame, a good method of achieving accuracy.

A couple of tips. When reassembling, make sure the flat side of the recoil spring tube is up (toward the barrel), and put the slide stop in BEFORE putting in the recoil spring and putting on the slide.

I guess this is as clear as mud, but the gun not only works, it is quite accurate and pleasant to shoot.

Jim