The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 23, 2002, 04:16 PM   #1
Randy V

Colt light rifle

I am going Dall Sheep hunting in august. Considering purchasing a light wieght rifle.
Weatherby light wieght is more than i want to spend( id redue my 8mm mag for that money )
I am considering a Colt light rifle in 7mm rem mag. Price is $5oo.oo with bases an mounts. I read a couple of horror stories about these rifles. There was a recall on firing pin on first ones out. Any one have any exsperiance with these rifles?
Old March 24, 2002, 01:59 PM   #2
JB in SC

Randy,
The trigger needs replacement. The stock is no worse than some injection molded Remington products I've seen. The barrel about average. The action is pretty decent.

A lot of people bought these thinking they would be an ULA, they're not close. I have owned a Model 24 ULA and currently have a Model 20 ULA so I do know what I'm talking about. It's pretty difficult to expect a $2600 rifle for $500.

I do correspond with two guys who have them (replaced the trigger) and like them. Although $500 sounds a bit high, it might be a decent deal. But, get rid of that Colt fire control system. It's the weakest link of the rifle. It is a fairly light rifle that with some work, could be quite decent.
JB
Old March 24, 2002, 02:12 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Browse the websites of the various rifle manufacturers, and check the data--barrel length, weight.

Then find a copy of Shotgun News and Gun List, and see who offers the best deal.

Also, check out prices for used critters which might meet your criteria.

Art