The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 13, 2011, 08:17 PM   #1
Nick9130White

Remington 870 vs benelli nova.

I own a Remington 870 express and I'm debaiting on buying a benelli nova 12 gauge for waterfowl. The only thing I'm Gettin it for really is the being able to shoot 3.5" shells.

What are the pros and cons of these two guns? And between 3" and 3.5" shells?
Old November 14, 2011, 05:56 AM   #2
jmr40

Unless you shoot geese, and do it often enough to buy ammo by the case, you have no need for 3.5" shells. They do help if you have to shoot heavy loads of large steel shot. For everything else a 2 3/4" or 3" shell is just as good, if not better and will not beat you up too bad. For the occasional goose hunter I'd use 3" shells and just buy the more expensive Bismuth or Hevi shot. This shot is actually better than the 3.5" steel, but too expensive if you plan on shooting it by the case.

As far as the Nova VS the 870, I actually like both guns. Probably because I'm more used to the 870 I shoot it much better. But I still like the Nova a lot. If I were just starting as a shooter and had no real experience with either I could see me going with the Nova. I've had a couple of the Nova's, really want to like them, but always went back to the lighter, better handling 870.
Old November 14, 2011, 07:54 AM   #3
upstate81

Honestly the only reason 3.5 shells may have a slight advantage is pass shooting geese. I've been using 3 in shells for ducks and geese with no issues what so ever. That being said I see no use for the nova. If your looking for an excuse to buy a new gun there are much better guns out there to choose from than the nova IMHO.
Old November 14, 2011, 09:21 AM   #4
94bluerat

These two are a lot different that the traditional 870 vs 500 debate.

The Nova has a much different feel than the 870. It looks different, sounds different when cycled, there is, to me, a very big difference in feel just holding the 2. I wouldn't mind adding a Nova to my collection just because it is such a different critter from the 870.

Hold one, shoot it see what you think.

+1 on the ammo comments. 3 inch heavy shot in the correct size, especial when patterned and choked correctly is fine for any goose around. Read the labels many 3 1/2 inch loads have the same dram eq as the 3 inch, but with more shot in the column. This results in a lower velocity.

Cheers!

Rifleman
BSA Eagle Scout
Old November 14, 2011, 02:59 PM   #5
Rugerismisticness

I prefer the nova, but both will get the job done. With the quality of current expresses, Remington should market a bit differently. The Nova has the steel reciever just as the express does, but the rotating bolt head and dual locking lugs make the design stronger. The nova also has a smoother bore that is chrome lined. I have a 20ga Nova and an 870Supermagnum, the 870 does have the lengthend forcing cones, but the quality sucks and it took a ton of work to get the gun up to par.
Old November 14, 2011, 04:16 PM   #6
Nick9130White

One of the main reasons I want 3.5 is to have it. It's better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it, ya know?
Old November 14, 2011, 05:18 PM   #7
AllenJ

I own an Express Turkey and a Nova, and I really like them both. They are also both chambered for 3.5". With that said prior to running out and buying one I'll tell you they hurt you when shooting 3.5" loads I would suggest jmr40's advice, buy some of the high dollar non-toxic stuff like Hevi-shot in 3" #2's and I think you'll find yourself killing more birds than with 3.5" steel shells.