The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 14, 2011, 01:18 PM   #1
Polynikes

Model 11 vs. A-5

I'm looking to replace both the recoil spring and friction rings on a Model 11 that was recently handed down to me. I've spent some time hunting around on Brownell's looking for the parts, but am not having a lot of luck. They do however, have both rings and the spring for the A-5. I believe (and may certianly be incorrect) that certain parts of the two guns are interchangeable, but I wanted to get a second opinion before putting too much time into the gun. I apologize if this has been covered, but the Search function didn't seem to have the specific answer I was looking for. Thanks in advance for any help!
Old November 14, 2011, 01:25 PM   #2
Goatwhiskers

Check Numrich (e-gunparts.com). Browning and Rem M11 parts are not interchangeable. Goat
Old November 14, 2011, 01:54 PM   #3
Polynikes

Thanks for the quick answer and the link. Looks like a good resource, but they don't have the friction ring in 12 ga. Guess I'll keep looking.
Old November 14, 2011, 02:57 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I had a good smith upgrade an old family 11 with A5 rings and springs. Most parts do not interchange but those do.

I'd also have the smith replace the fiber buffer in the receiver.....
Old November 14, 2011, 10:48 PM   #5
Polynikes

Thanks, Dave! The buffer is something I've been looking to as well, but the spring is my first priority (it's actually broken!) Surprisingly, the buffer appears to be in decent shape. I just figured at this point that if I'm replacing the spring the friction rings might as well get done too.
Old November 14, 2011, 11:36 PM   #6
lamarw

If the A5 parts mentioned will work on your Remington, then the least expensive place to buy those parts is directly from Browning. Others sources can not come close to matching their prices. The other sources are great for getting hard to find parts, but Browing still supports the A5 with all the parts.

Don't believe me, check it out for yourself.