The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 5, 2010, 08:10 AM   #26
blume357

Hey Ratshooter, I've got both too... the regular SKS and the para.

both have folding stocks (the cheap Ramline ones) but the kicker is I managed to find and install 20 round non detatchable mags on both. I need to take them out and shoot them sometime.
Old February 5, 2010, 11:34 AM   #27
ThomasT

Thanks DMK. I have seen the fiberglass stocks before but not in a long time. I might paint the stock on my rifle but I don't think I would do it on the paratrooper. People are willing to pay too much for those rifles. The one the OP found for $300 is a steal. It would be my choice for what he is wanting to do.

Yep Blume go shoot them. Nice guns for what they are and what they sold for.

The para model I have I recieved when my dad passed away 7 years ago. It was unfired. Plus I got 800 rounds of the Norinco steel core ammo with it. The rifle SKS I bought of GB a couple of years ago for $235. I have around 3500 rounds of assorted ammo in FMJ, hollow point and soft point.
Old February 5, 2010, 01:31 PM   #28
DMK

The Para SKS' are a fairly uncommon relatively speaking.

You could try searching around for another wooden SKS stock, coat it with polyurethane to seal and smooth it out and then paint it. You should be able to pick up a Chinese stock pretty cheap somewhere if you're patient.

Here's my other Jungle stock on a Norinco Sporter (AKA: SKS-D). This is one of the SKS models that takes AK mags so I didn't want to do any permanent mods to it either.

I painted this stock with semi-gloss black Alumahyde II. The 1st can was getting low and splattered, but it turned out to be a fortuitous glitch because it gave the stock a pebbly/grippy texture to it. I was lucky that I was able to keep this texture consistent over the entire stock, then gave a more even cover coat from a second can the next day.

Norinco SKS Sporter with Hungarian 20rd "Tanker Mag", fiberglass "Jungle Stock", Tech Sights TS200 elevation adj rear aperture and Williams "Firesight" fiber optic front post.

Last edited by DMK; February 5, 2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old February 5, 2010, 03:51 PM   #29
ThomasT

That looks good DMK. An SKS with detachable mags is the ultimate in that style of rifle. Is the buttpad an after market or did it come with the stock?

I have a couple of after market pads and neither one looks that good. One looks like the rifle has galoshes on. Its UGLY with a capital U.
Old February 5, 2010, 03:53 PM   #30
fearless leader

I would go with the SKS

The SKS is about as powerful as a 30-30, it holds enough ammo to take care of 2 or 4 legged predators, they are reasonably cheap, the ammo is cheap and at the rate guns get stolen from trucks, easily replaced. If your truck gun will likely take a beating, I would look at the SKS or a military surplus bolt gun; a Mosin-Nagant maybe.

One thing I never really liked about having a truck was unless you put some strong box or something in it, anyone with a rock has a "key" to the contents of the cab.

There are some nice seat covers for bench style seats that conceal your toy from criminal eyes that are worth looking into.
Old February 5, 2010, 03:58 PM   #31
ThomasT

Fearless Leader your coming through loud and clear.
Old February 5, 2010, 04:04 PM   #32
tsweep

The SKS is a good all around semi-auto gun but I have to agree with fearless leader, the mosin nagant is a good truck gun. For a bolt gun it is a decent, affordable, reliable tool to keep in a truck.
Old February 5, 2010, 07:24 PM   #33
DMK

Quote:
Is the buttpad an after market or did it come with the stock?
It didn't come with the stock. Those jungle stocks have the standard metal SKS butt plate.

I believe it may actually be an aftermarket AK pad that I picked up at a gun show or something. I'm sure I found it collecting dust in my junk box when I put it on there.
Old February 19, 2010, 08:49 AM   #34
JH1

I'm still stuck here. I've got the guy down to $265 on the sks para, but I can get a new saiga with shipping and transfer for right around $340. With both of these, I'm just scared its going to be a crapshoot as far as accuracy. Like I said, not looking for a bench gun, but want to be able to hit what I'm shooting at.
Old February 19, 2010, 11:05 AM   #35
sc928porsche

+1 on the seat cover. It keeps the rifle out of view and also cuts down on the banging around because it is made of heavy cloth and rests against the front of the seat.
Old February 19, 2010, 11:13 AM   #36
SR420

7.62x39... those SKS rifles look ideal... the AKM is also a good choice.
Another good option for a truck gun would be a less threatening looking lever gun.

Mine is a Marlin .45-70 Guide Gun that has been enhanced just a little

Old February 19, 2010, 12:37 PM   #37
mr.matt

lever action marlin gets my vote.
Old February 19, 2010, 01:39 PM   #38
bamaranger

I'm surprised......

you were not satisfied w/ a mini-14, as they are one of the truck guns around here. Accuracy is at least the equal of any of the rifles you discuss, and Ruger is now distributing factory hicaps if you want 'em. The Ranch rifle is easily scoped, triggers aren't bad. Mini's are real carbines, easy in and out of the truck (or the window on your own property). Not so SKS in usual form.

Wally World will sell you a new one, and used ones seem common enough, as does .223 ammo.

What's not to like?
Old February 20, 2010, 02:01 AM   #39
Ignition Override

Many owners of the AK-74 (Century guns) report bullet 'keyholes' at 100 yards.
The only country which produces 5.45x39 is Russia, and so a lot of 'supply line' eggs are in one basket, but the ammo is quite a value.
With enough of such ammo stockpiled and one of the better rifles, the problems might be solved.

Some Mosin Nagant 44s are accurate, but both of mine produced very bad groups at 50 yards (only had surplus Bulg. ammo), and the shooter was one factor.
My tough, handy little Lee-Enfield "Jungle Carbine" is much better.
Old February 22, 2010, 08:41 AM   #40
JH1

I guess I answered the question myself this weekend. Found a used mini 14 this weekend for a good price and bought it. Like I said before, had two in the past that I was satisfied with accuracy wise, but that was before some of the accessories we have today that are supposed to help. Got a good price on the gun so I thought it was worth taking a chance on.
Old February 22, 2010, 08:54 AM   #41
skydiver3346

SKS: Nice work DMK

Your SKS para really looks nice. Good job on the paint, etc. You intersted in selling it?
Old February 22, 2010, 09:58 AM   #42
DMK

Thanks! I really enjoy it, and no, it's not for sale.

They aren't completely rare though. Keep your eyes open and gun shows and pawn shops. They turn up every once in a while if you are patient.
Old February 22, 2010, 10:10 AM   #43
okiefarmer308

sks

Fearless leader and others,hit it on the head. Ballistics are about the same on the 7.62x39 and a 30-30. I grew up shooting a 30-30 on a sheep an goat ranch.Shooting coyotes and dogs was a several times a week happening. Got my first SKS and was in love. Don't let the bolt action elitists blow smoke up your butt,the SKS(and I have had several) is a good choice for 200 yard shots,excellent for 100 yard and with practice and matching the ammo to your gun 300 yard shots. Best record I had was 4 dogs(they were already chasing and killing sheep). I started shooting at 150 yards--killed the last at over 300.I will admit the last one took 3 shots but it was a blue heeler. They won't kill any more sheep. Best shot off of a tractor at a coyote is about 220 yards. My SKS loved the Wolf brand hollow points.
Old February 23, 2010, 12:07 AM   #44
a56x300

I'd go with a Marlin 336 in .30-30 with a low power compact scope on it.
Old February 23, 2010, 11:06 PM   #45
okiefarmer308

30-30

a56x300 I agree completely.
I have rarely met a 30-30 that I disliked. A Marlin 30-30 with a nice tough scope would be a good choice. It also has a side benefit in this paranoid world of being a "safe" gun. Lawmen see you with a 30-30 and think hunter,with a SKS some might see a survivalist nut. I hate political correctness.