The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 22, 2010, 10:39 PM   #1
bambam1723

CVA Optima .50 Muzzleloader Scope Recommendations

I just bought me a CVA Optima in-line muzzleloader for next year's deer season. I got the nickel finish with Hardwoods Green camo stock and forearm.

I wanna put a scope on it and since it is my first muzzleloader I'm not sure what works best.

I've been eyeing the Nikon Omega BDC and the Bushnell Trophy DOA 250. I'm not sure how I would like the bullet drop compensator reticle on these as I am used to a duplex reticele.

What would you guys recommend on this muzzleloader?
I'm thinking I want a variable 3-9 power.

Also, does anyone have any experience with bases and rings for this inline?

Thanks Gents

Last edited by bambam1723; February 22, 2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old February 23, 2010, 08:34 AM   #2
Doyle

You don't need a 9x scope on a muzzleloader. All that does is add unneeded weight and size. A muzzleloader is primarily a weapon for less than 200 yds. A well tuned muzzleloader with a good shooter will stretch that out to about 300 yds.

I think the ideal muzzleloader scope is the Leupold VXII 2-7x30. It is only about 10 1/2 oz and is has plenty of eye relief. I've got two of the Leupold 2-7s (one is a VXII and the other a VXI). I don't think I've ever needed to crank them up past 5 power.
Old February 23, 2010, 11:47 PM   #3
bambam1723

any other thoughts?
Old February 24, 2010, 12:02 AM   #4
hometheaterman

I've got a 3x9x40mm Leupold VX-I on my muzzle loader and honestly, that's the worst scope I've ever used. I wouldn't recommend it at all. However, I do like the power range. The only reason I have it on there is after it breaking twice on my rifle I put a Burris on that and had this scope left over and needed one for my muzzle loader. I know a lot of guys find 9x un needed on a muzzle loader but I often shoot 100 yards or so with mine and while I can shoot at lower magnifications I really like it on 9x for that. I don't see a problem with a 3x9 scope on a muzzle loader.