The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 29, 2024, 02:34 PM   #1
ThomasT

Rossi R95 Came Today

Today my new R95 came. What a nice looking gun. I just took it out of the box but haven't cleaned the shipping oil off yet. Its just as smooth in operation as others have said. I like the wood and the "checkering" which is more like "stipling". I really would have been fine with smooth wood. I really like that the writing on the barrel is not deep like some I have seen on Marlin barrels.

The only thing I didn't like was the rear sight. Why such big ears on each side of the sight notch? Its like looking through Bugs Bunnies ears to shoot the gun. Also it didn't come with a hammer spur. I think have a couple of those in my Box-O-Parts so no big deal. Overall I really like it.

I will most likely remove the rear sight and grind down th goofy ears and reblue. Like it is they would interfere with scope mounting. If that doesn't work I may see if I can buy a complete Marlin rear sight from Ruger. Those are hard to find now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (109.2 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 002.JPG (100.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 004.JPG (104.2 KB, 48 views)
Old April 29, 2024, 02:35 PM   #2
ThomasT

A couple more photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.JPG (149.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 006.JPG (102.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 008.JPG (86.3 KB, 34 views)
Old April 29, 2024, 03:32 PM   #3
jetinteriorguy

The big ears on the rear sight give you the option of using the sight sort of like a ghost ring for fast close up shots. It also lets you adjust your elevation roughly by altering the sight picture and using the very top of the ears as a quick substitute for the regular sight notch. You’d be surprised how well this can work with practice. It’s especially useful in pistol caliber rifles in my experience. Of course it’s more of a practical/hunting application but I wouldn’t be surprised in the right hands just how accurate this can work.
Old April 29, 2024, 05:06 PM   #4
ThomasT

Interesting thought. But since I am going to mount a scope the big ears would interfer with the scope. Most of the videos I have watched the poster removed the rear sight so the scope could be mounted.

I want the open sights. I like the idea of having back sights already sighted in in case you bust your scope. I ordered a Marbles Sporting rear sight with ears similar to the Marlin rear sight. I wish you could find a Marlin rear sight set without paying ebay scalper prices. If this doesn't work I will see if Ruger will sell me a sight from the 336 they are building. I like that the Marlin sight folds down.
Old April 29, 2024, 06:39 PM   #5
44caliberkid

I think they’re impressive looking guns. Looking forward to the range report. The sights are Buck Horns. My brother says they call them that because if you throw down on a buck, cover his antlers with the sight wings, you hit them right between the eyes. Are you going to use look through rings or quick detatch?
Old April 29, 2024, 07:27 PM   #6
hammie

Why not buy a Marbles #69 FOLDING leaf sight? They come in three different heights, and there is even a model which will adjust for windage without drifting the base. They're about 20 $ from Midway USA.
Old April 29, 2024, 08:56 PM   #7
ThomasT

I will never ever use see through mounts. Tried them once. Never again.
Old April 29, 2024, 09:02 PM   #8
ThomasT

"Why not buy a Marbles #69 FOLDING leaf sight? They come in three different heights, and there is even a model which will adjust for windage without drifting the base. They're about 20 $ from Midway USA".

Great minds think alike. I have one of those folding sights and was just looking to see if it was in the proper height range. I think it will work. And mine is windage adjustable.

You absolutely cannot mount a scope like it is. You would have thought that Rossi had that figured out by now. If the new Marbles sight I have coming doesn't work I will try the folding sight. I did that on my Glenfield 30-30.
Old April 29, 2024, 09:56 PM   #9
USAF Ret

My scope fitted just over the rear sight, so I was lucky in not having to remove it. If you can fins any PPU Rifle Line 150, my rifle absolutely loves it.
Old April 29, 2024, 10:33 PM   #10
ThomasT

Yes I remember your post and targets. Those groups are what pushed me over the line to get this gun. I was impressed. Just curious, what height rings did you use? That may make a difference on fit.

I tried the folding rear sight after I removed the factory sight an I guess someone had filed the dovetail and that sight slid in with no resistance. Matter of fact is loose as a goose. I have no idea where that sight came from but its junk. I will have to order another I think. But the folding sight looks like the best option.
Old April 29, 2024, 10:35 PM   #11
ThomasT

Quote:
If you can fins any PPU Rifle Line 150, my rifle absolutely loves it.
IIRC it was a poster named Mason Leather that tested those loads on a YT video and they were getting over 2400fps from a 20" barreled Glenfield rifle.
Old April 30, 2024, 02:12 AM   #12
stagpanther

Now I'm really confused--I thought the latest generation of rossi lever guns being sold in the US were being manufactured at a new Taurus plant in GA? That's what I've read. That barrel says made in Brazil.
Old April 30, 2024, 03:33 AM   #13
georgehwbush

"But since I am going to mount a scope the big ears would interfer with the scope" ThomasT ; have you considered see through mounts for the scope?
i used to have weaver see through mounts on a marlin 336
and 6x bushnell scope. was a great combo.
Old April 30, 2024, 03:37 AM   #14
georgehwbush

oh ThomasT sorry i missed that one post of yours. disreguard my previous.

i scroll with a mouse and some times it jumps. (my excuse and im sticking to it)
Old April 30, 2024, 08:29 AM   #15
taylorce1

Nice rifle, but I don't like the stippling. Just a prefrence of mine, I like checkering better. If you're going to scope the rifle, I'd remove the rear sight and contour a filler for the dovetail and blue. I'd then use a rail like this one with your rifle. Skinner also has a nice rail with aperature sight, that I probably like better.
Old April 30, 2024, 09:50 AM   #16
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasT View Post
Yes I remember your post and targets. Those groups are what pushed me over the line to get this gun. I was impressed. Just curious, what height rings did you use? That may make a difference on fit.

I tried the folding rear sight after I removed the factory sight an I guess someone had filed the dovetail and that sight slid in with no resistance. Matter of fact is loose as a goose. I have no idea where that sight came from but its junk. I will have to order another I think. But the folding sight looks like the best option.
I used medium scope rings with a pic rail. With the short 7x scope I have, I was able to mount rearward of the rear sight. I got one of those little rubber scope bikinis that will fit between them to keep the lenses covered.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scope.jpg (155.7 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by USAF Ret; April 30, 2024 at 09:58 AM.
Old April 30, 2024, 12:07 PM   #17
ThomasT

Quote:
Nice rifle, but I don't like the stippling. Just a prefrence of mine, I like checkering better. If you're going to scope the rifle, I'd remove the rear sight and contour a filler for the dovetail and blue. I'd then use a rail like this one with your rifle. Skinner also has a nice rail with aperature sight, that I probably like better.
The rail is nice but not for me. The funny thing is that I removed the rear sight and there is a drilled and tapped hole just behind the rear sight notch. Maybe its there for a scout scope mount. I have never seen it mentioned before.

like the stippling. At least i like it better than the checkering on a Marlin with that silly looking diamond thing in the middle of the checkering. The stippling isn't deep. I am already thinking it would be easy to slim down the forend and then sand out the stippling on the pistol grip and refinish the wood. I like smooth stocks on levers best of all.

USAF Ret thats a nice scope. I already have my scope. A Vortex 2-7 I bought a couple of weeks ago just for this gun. I did buy high mounts and those may help with the mounting. I want open sights as a back sighting system. I have to sort that out first.
Old April 30, 2024, 12:09 PM   #18
ThomasT

Quote:
oh ThomasT sorry i missed that one post of yours. disreguard my previous.

i scroll with a mouse and some times it jumps. (my excuse and im sticking to it)
No problems. I have been down the see thru mount stuff before. No thanks. A lever action really isn't stocked for scope mounting anyway and super tall mounts just make it worse.
Old April 30, 2024, 01:41 PM   #19
USAF Ret

I think if you go with a low power or LPVO optic, it will fit behind the rear buckhorn.
Old April 30, 2024, 02:09 PM   #20
ThomasT

Quote:
I think if you go with a low power or LPVO optic, it will fit behind the rear buckhorn.
Like I said earlier I already have the scope. And now the sights are fixed to my liking. I had a short leaf Marbles rear sight I bought a couple of months ago I never used. So I installed that and found the front sight was too tall. The front sight is .375 tall and I replaced it with a .300 front sight I had on hand.

Now using a laser bore sighter and the rear sight in its lowest notch the red dot of the bore sighter is right on top of the front bead at 50 yards. Thats perfect because i not only have all the ladder left for adjustment but also the movable rear sight blade for fine tuning. And the rear sight is now low enough to mount the 2-7 scope I bought for this gun.

Now all need to do is go and shoot and get the scope set. Then test some of my lead bullet loads with the 1/12 twist barrel.
Old April 30, 2024, 06:32 PM   #21
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasT View Post
Like I said earlier I already have the scope. And now the sights are fixed to my liking. I had a short leaf Marbles rear sight I bought a couple of months ago I never used. So I installed that and found the front sight was too tall. The front sight is .375 tall and I replaced it with a .300 front sight I had on hand.

Now using a laser bore sighter and the rear sight in its lowest notch the red dot of the bore sighter is right on top of the front bead at 50 yards. Thats perfect because i not only have all the ladder left for adjustment but also the movable rear sight blade for fine tuning. And the rear sight is now low enough to mount the 2-7 scope I bought for this gun.

Now all need to do is go and shoot and get the scope set. Then test some of my lead bullet loads with the 1/12 twist barrel.
Sorry I missed that. Post a pic with the optic, if you don't mind.
Old May 1, 2024, 06:54 PM   #22
ThomasT

OK I think I have the sighting sorted out. I installed a Marbles flat top rear sight and a shorter front sight. It laser sighted right on the money at 50 yards with the red dot tight on top of the front bead and now I have the entire sight ladder if I need to adjust for elevation and the rear sight has a sliding blade for fine tuning.

I mounted the Vortex 2X7 scope and have it laser sighted at 100 yards. Close enough to get me on paper. The best part was is I barely had to adjust the scope to get the red dot centered. Here are some pictures.

Sorry for the small pictures. I can't figure out how to get the forum to let me post bigger pictures. I don't have that problem on other forums. I'm sure its something I am doing wrong. Lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (75.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 006.JPG (141.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 010.JPG (134.0 KB, 20 views)
Old May 1, 2024, 07:56 PM   #23
Pumpkin

Looks good, a rail on a lever action looks like a brush guard on a Mustang.
Old May 2, 2024, 07:57 AM   #24
USAF Ret

Looks great! Now, choot it!
Old May 2, 2024, 01:22 PM   #25
rmh3481

Beautiful, I wish it was mine!