The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 8, 2006, 10:50 PM   #1
Charmed Quark

Help Need Help Identifying Urko Firearms 12-guage shotgun

My father recently handed down all his firearms to me. There's one I cannot really find any information about online. Is there someone that might know about this?

The gun is a double-barrel, breech-loading, 12-guage shotgun with exposed hammers. It is stamped "URKO - FIREARMS - Elbar - SPAIN" on the top of the right barrel, and "INTER-AMERICAN, SAC'TO, CA" on the top of the left. On the side of the left barrel, it says "12 GAUGE-3" MAGNUM". Under the left barrel (and visible when open for loading) there is stamped "12-3" inside an oval, and (what I assume is a serial number) "AB 54098".

From what I was able to learn, Urko is obviously some Spanish manufacturer and Inter-American was the importer, with Sac'to an abbreviation for Sacremento. But I couldn't find any information on them either. My father purchased this gun from someone 25+ years ago, and knows nothing more. It's a nice looking gun. I'd really like to figure out it's age and any other information about it.

Thanks for any help!

I've posted photos here:
http://r.dreher.home.comcast.net/guns/CIMG3681.JPG
http://r.dreher.home.comcast.net/guns/CIMG3677.JPG
http://r.dreher.home.comcast.net/guns/CIMG3678.JPG
Old April 9, 2006, 01:37 AM   #2
Charmed Quark

Correction - Looking at the stamp again, I believe the city of manufacture is "Eibar", not "Elbar".
Old April 9, 2006, 10:40 AM   #3
johnbt

I thought URKO was a Brazilian company.

Anyhow, after a fair amount of searching all I've come up with is the following question on another board. Maybe it will provide a few clues.

"CAN ANYBODY TELL ME ABOUT ASARASQUETA OVER
> > > AND UNDER SHOTGUN. IT IS MARKED WITH
> > > ARMERIA JANCITO SARASQUETA ACERO URKO NO. 1
> > > DOUBLE TRIGER WITH EJECTORS AND ENGLISH STOCK
> > > WITH ENGRAVED RECEIVERS "

John...who really should be painting a sun porch.
Old April 9, 2006, 12:39 PM   #4
Charmed Quark

Thanks for looking John.

I came across something that was talking about Brazil as well, but it wasn't anything that clearly stated the nationality URKO.

Hope you didn't get in too much trouble for neglecting your Sunday Honey-Do list for a bit...
Old April 9, 2006, 09:45 PM   #5
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Interesting gun

CQ - - Have you measured length of the barrels? They look too long for "coach gun" or "minimum legal old fashioned riot gun" length, yet a bit short for "handy llittle upland game gun" length.

I am reminded of an old Dave McCracken article about his making up a Sicilian "Lupara" all purpose shotgun. I wonder if yours is not a commercially produced example of the type. Dave's article may be found at
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...threadid=11614

You read of the classic use in Mario Puzo's novel, The Godfather. He describes the weapons being carried by Sonny Corelone's bodyguards while he was in exile in Sicily. In the film by the same name, the guns are readily visible, as well as the handiness and easy familiarity with which the owners carry them. Every time I catch those scenes, I am taken with the urge to make one of my own. I was happy to read Dave's account of making up his.

The extremely short action of this type shotgun allows for barrels of 23 to 26 inches, in a package which is still shorter than an 18 or 20-inch barrelled pump or autoloader. The longer-than-US-minimums barrels allow for getting near optimum benefit from smokeless powder shells. No, they wouldn't swing as well as 30" tubes for passing waterfowl. Nor would a 25-inch barrel provide for real concealment. But it is handy and maneuverable. Swivels and a simple, one-inch carry strap increase portability immensely.

Exposed, manually cocked hammers allow the gun to remain loaded indefinitely with no strain on the springs.

Just some thoughts - -
Johnny
Old April 9, 2006, 11:24 PM   #6
Charmed Quark

Hey Johnny,

Thanks for the comments. Coincidently, when I was visiting my father the other week and he gave me this gun, we had watched The Godfather II on TV, and he made the comment that this shotgun was something similar to that.

I just measured the barrels and they are 20-1/8" long. My father did refer to this as a "coach" gun as well.

Thanks again.
Old May 31, 2006, 02:14 PM   #7
loddfafnir

CQ,
Has anyone found more on this shotgun? i'm looking for replacement firing pins for the same model.
Old June 1, 2006, 11:41 PM   #8
Charmed Quark

Unfortunately, no. Is there anything more about it that you know about it's age?

Thanks
Old June 2, 2006, 06:33 PM   #9
loddfafnir

nothing on age. looking herehttp://web.jet.es/rafa/b_punzones_larga_lisa.html
i found something that may be useful. i haven't found anything else to corelate it too though. just prior to the serial number on my receiver there are the letters A.B and I wonder if this actually refers to the manufacturer which according to the above link would be Mugica. unfortunately I still don't know anything more about that person. do you have the same initials? what other marks, proof or otherwise do you have? i haven't found much else on spanish proofmarks though. ever have a gunsmith look at it?
hopefully we'll find something.
Old November 14, 2006, 11:22 PM   #10
Key2America

Urko Firearms

I have just acquired a 20 ga double barrel with the same markings. It does not have external hammers. It does have a lower serial number 53XXX. I believe it has a 26 in long barrel.

I was told this gun was fairly new but from the serial number my should predate the one your father had.

It seems almost impossible to find information about this manufacturer on the internet, talk about a "mom and pop" operation. Has anyone found anything new since these previous posts?
Old November 15, 2006, 03:13 PM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

I thought Urko was the monkey general in Planet of the Apes?

Anyway...

I've heard of Urko. I believe they were imported in the 1970s and 1980s, with importation stopping in the mid to late 1980s when a lot of Spanish firearms companies folded.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 15, 2006, 05:23 PM   #12
RJay

I've seen this type question come up before. URKO is a South American manufacture or exporter (Brazil) but the gun is clearly marked Eibar. I believe that the guns are a co-opertive venture. A group of small Spanish makers get together to furnish shotguns for a export contract. One shop will make the barrels, one shop the wood, one shop the action and put together by yet another. I believe Urko is the Acronym of the co-op and has nothing at all to to with URKO of Brazil. Could be wrong, been wrong before and I'll be wrong again.
Old May 5, 2007, 04:26 PM   #13
Shotshell

Urko Shotgun

Urko shotgun were imported by Inter American Arms which was or is owned by the Sacramento Armory. The Sacramento Armory is still in business and is located on J Street here in Sacramento. I believe they have a web site. I bought a 20 ga Urko in the 1970s and still own it and have the purchasing documentation. You may know all this by now.