The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 5, 2009, 07:53 PM   #26
Niagara Shooter

I've used 3 and 3 1/2 BBB on geese and the odd duck while goose hunting. I find that at fairly close ranges it works fine (under 40 yards) anything past that, hopefully ya catch it in the face or wings and it will come down. Steel shot hasn't performed very well for me on game with hides though, shot a fox with a 3 load of BBB one time at roughly 25yrds and it ran off, found it dead a couple days later but with lead shot it would have been drt. The way I look at it all is, how much of a deal is ur life worth? Up here in Canada we can't go using guns to defend ourselves unless the badgun is also using a gun, so the way I look at it is, if I lived in the USA, I wouldn't be skimping on the shells the could be possibly saving my life one day. Just my opinion
Old March 5, 2009, 10:15 PM   #27
greyeyezz

For someone living in an apartment type setting lead BB's might make a good choice vs buckshot.