The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 18, 2000, 11:52 PM   #1
TOMBSTONE

I had bought a synthetic stock a while back for my Husqvarna 30-06 bolt action.I don't remember the brand off hand(Choate I believe) but it was a fairly inexpensive synthetic replacement stock about $90.00.My father brought the gun to a highly recommended gunsmith to have it reblued and this stock installed and glass bedded to make sure it was fitted well to the rifle and to free-float the barrel.The gunsmith told my father that we couldn't glass bed the stock because it would not adhere to the synthetic stock and to use the stock as is was not good because it was made to fit a variety of swedish mausers and it was not having that great of a fit,the barrel touching the stock in three locations along the stock.He felt it would be better to repair the old stock then to use the synthetic one.Is this guy right?I don't want to challenge this guy's knowledge,especially because he is very well known and recommended in the area,but I'm not sure hes right about the stock not being able to be glass bedded because it will not adhere.I've never heard that only wood stocks can be glass bedded or am I missing something here?Thanks in advance.
Old May 19, 2000, 06:35 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Tombstone, I don't know what that guy is using but both Steel Bed and Acra-Glass Gel from Brownells work great in synthetic stocks. George
Old May 19, 2000, 12:04 PM   #3
innocent bystander

I've used marinetex with good results in plastic Choate and Ramline stocks.
Old May 19, 2000, 03:47 PM   #4
Lefty

Another option -- make some cuts into the synthetic material where you want the bedding to go, M-Tek works great BYW. These cuts will make a "mechanical lock" that will force or make the bedding adhere to the synthetic stock.

I'd believe that the 'smith just doesn't want to try it, for whatever reason. I agree that some of these syn materials are tough to get some materials to stick to, but using my method of making undercuts or reliefs using a dremel tool, I've experienced no problems.

Good luck & tight groups!!
Old May 19, 2000, 07:34 PM   #5
HankL

Or, just perhaps, the smith knew that the $90 stock was a real POS and didn't want to tell you that you had wasted your money. IMHO
Old May 20, 2000, 12:07 AM   #6
TOMBSTONE

thanks for the replies,for whatever reason he apparantly doesn't want to mess with the synthetic stock.The wood one is still good but he has to releive a crack and bed the gun.