The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 11, 2009, 11:25 PM   #1
sidaemon

Concealment vest for IDPA, any suggestions?

I'm looking for a concealment vest for IDPA and standard CCW wear. I'm a big guy, wide in the shoulders with a long torso. I've looked through places like Cabellas, Dicks sporting good, and REI, and while they have vests that work and look good they won't work for IDPA because they never seem long enough.

A XXXL is too big in the shoulders and usually is not any longer than a XXL and they won't hang down low enough to cover the bottom of the slide with arms outstretched like required. A XXL fits well in the shoulders and looks great but again is not long enough.

Any suggestions on where I might be able to get a good vest? I've heard 511 but I'm a little hesitant to drop the money they're asking for something sight unseen. I don't mind spending $30-40 for something, but if I'm going to shell out a $100 I want to guarentee its going to work.

Thanks zac.
Old July 12, 2009, 08:12 PM   #2
The_Vigilante

Need to check out clothing for tall men to fit the requirement for length of the vest. Good luck. Do you have a tall men's shop where you live? Cabela's does have tall men's options-may be what you are looking for. Can always send it back if it does't fit.
Old July 12, 2009, 11:07 PM   #3
patriotthad

Smith and Alexander makes a NICE. Vest does not have the "I'm carrying a gun" look. Looks better than 5.11, costs a lot less made of material that resist wrinkle. I'm a tall guy 6' 3"+ and think it is great. www.smithandalexander.com
Old July 16, 2009, 02:20 AM   #4
evan1293

The 5.11 vest will work. Thats what the majority of people use and its a high quality vest. I've got several of these and they're well worth every penny. You could also check out woolrich elite.
Old August 13, 2009, 11:20 PM   #5
S391

Botach has the Sig vest on sale for $25. I have one and love it.

http://www.botachtactical.com/sigtacvest.html
Old August 13, 2009, 11:45 PM   #6
The_Vigilante

Checked out the sale-looks like a nice vest. Unfortunately for me I don't wear the sizes they have on sale-X Large and above.