The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 28, 2009, 09:00 AM   #1
Kentucky Deer Hunter

Gun safe in the laundry room?

I have a laundry room that is approx 7ft x 3ft. It is more of an oversized closet than an actual room. It does have doors on it, but I was wondering if it would be okay to put a gun safe in there (humidity?). I can leave the doors open while the dryer is running, but I can't always promise that my wife will remember. I do plan on putting a de-humidifier in the safe as well. One more thing, we have a stackable washer and dryer if you were wondering how we were going to get it to fit

I do not have a closet big enough for one and I don't really want to set it out in our bedroom. The safe is 60"h x 35"w x 27"d.

I could always get a smaller one, but you know... What do you think?

Imagine if every outdoorsman taught the sport to 2 young people -----> What are you doing to save our sport?
Old July 28, 2009, 09:35 AM   #2
oneounceload

IF that is your best option, and you can't guarantee your wife will leave the door open - replace the door with one with louvers, possibly install an exhaust-type fan to pull air from the house into it, add not only a goldenrod, (or two), but some of the big boxes of desiccant, make sure your guns have a light coating of a rust-preventative oil on them, keep them in a silicone sock........you get the idea
Old July 28, 2009, 09:46 AM   #3
sholling

I think the humidity might get too high.
Old July 28, 2009, 09:49 AM   #4
ZeSpectre

I think I would find another option.
Old July 28, 2009, 10:48 AM   #5
johnbt

I'd do it IF the dryer is vented outside or there's an exhaust fan.

I put 2 large Golden Rods in my basement safe many years ago and haven't had any problems.

My unheated, un-AC'd basement stays damper than any little laundry closet. Okay, there is a hot water tank, gas boiler and insulated radiator pipes running along the ceiling, but trust me, it stays damp, even if there aren't always puddles on the floor when it rains really hard. Summertime is really bad - cool brick walls, Richmond humidity.

I have a small, old house. My washer and gas dryer are down there too, but the dryer is vented outside.

John
Old July 28, 2009, 04:02 PM   #6
THEZACHARIAS

Living in louisiana, this is a big issue regardless of where you keep your gunsafe.

My safe is exposed to some serious environmental humidity, but Ive found that its not too hard to deal with. Make sure that the door closes tightly (if not, some small diameter soft rubber tubing along the edge will seal it up nicely, like a cheap o-ring). Make sure any mounting holes or cracks are sealed. With that done, all you need is a decent dehumidifier and youre good to go. Hasnt failed me yet.
Old July 28, 2009, 06:13 PM   #7
oneounceload

What works well for sealing the door is what came with mine - the fire-proof braided material that makes almost a crush-type fit and seals very tight. Thinking about laundry rooms, I looked at mine today doing some laundry - it's between the garage and the house. The room is insulated and outside vented, the garage is non-climate controlled. It was MUCH more humid in the garage than the laundry. IMO, if you followed all of the suggestions by folks, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Old July 28, 2009, 11:14 PM   #8
cougar gt-e

Those goldenrods work well to keep the temp in the safe slightly higher than the outside air. That's all it takes to keep the moisture from settling on the steel. A generous coat of lube / protectent also helps a bunch. Now if I can figure out how to keep the little bugs out..
Old July 30, 2009, 08:17 PM   #9
johnbt

Bug spray. Around the door and the on the floor.

The secret to GoldenRods is that the safe cannot be sealed up. There has to be air circulating in and out.

"Expansion of the heated air forces the moist air outside through the vents or loose fitting doors leaving the dry air inside. In order to work correctly, it is important to ensure that there is adequate ventilation."

www.goldenroddehumidifiers.com/faqs.htm
Old July 30, 2009, 08:27 PM   #10
Dingoboyx

Might be a bit humid

But a good way to keep humidity under control, is to have a 25watt light bulb always on inside your gun cabinet all the time..... helps to see your guns when you open the door too

A mate who spends alot of time in Papua new Guinea reckons folks up there have a light on in the closets to keep clothes from going moldy.... works really well evidently
Old August 11, 2009, 01:35 PM   #11
TangoMcBlasty

Quote:
keep them in a silicone sock
I've always read/heard that guns shouldn't be stored inside of silicone socks or cases because they can hold moisture next to metal. I guess that's not true(???). Has your experience been different?

Not trying to calling anyone out... just always on the lookout for a better ways to store my guns.
Old August 11, 2009, 02:42 PM   #12
SAIGAFISH

me to

WOULD a few silicone lrg packets and socks for all the guns,do it. it,s a
funny thing i got down putting a gun cabinet in my laundry room
and i got on the computer to find this thread by supprise.so i had to get in on this one.maybe i will fill the holes and add a gasket to the door.
Old August 12, 2009, 12:24 PM   #13
SAIGAFISH

measure it

Iwas thinking about this last night after i posted the earlier post
and i remembered that i have an extra sensor for my weather station
thing. its awsome its from honeywell it has temp,humidity,baro,all that
good stuff maybe i will put that extra sensor in the safe in my laundry
room and get some actual numbers.
Old August 12, 2009, 02:58 PM   #14
oneounceload

I just ordered extra silicone socks for all my long guns as they sit in the safe. I wipe the outsides down after cleaning with a light coat of oil and in the sock they go - so far, no problems.
Old August 14, 2009, 09:45 PM   #15
SAIGAFISH

inside mine has not to bad ether,althow i keep on turning on the
washing machine with my wallet,other than its good to go.
do laundry and look at guns