The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 26, 2006, 06:39 PM   #1
Spur0701

Broadhead Life

A friend I hunt with swears on switching out broad head blades everytime one is used in a kill.....does it make that much difference? He won't even consider just sharpening them, let alone useing them for a second or third time before replacement.
Old September 27, 2006, 11:00 AM   #2
zeisloft

if you are good at sharping them back to “like new” standard (shaving sharp), then resharpen them. Otherwise replace. If you are not sorta nervous screwing them into your inserts, I replace or resharp them.
~z

Obviously, Occam was not a reloader
Old September 27, 2006, 11:24 AM   #3
Desertfox

Every archery class, every hunter's education, IBEP, IBO, etc. Just flat everyone emphasizes razor sharp broadheads for hunting. I am pretty sure they are not all selling broadheads. Why risk a new set of blades on a big bruiser that you get a questionable shot on. The difference between recovery and loss is that set of blades?
Old September 28, 2006, 12:22 PM   #4
castnblast

ABSOLUTELY!!!

Several factors...ever cut a tomato w/ a dull knife? Does the skin always break? answer...NO. You need an ultra sharp broadhead to cut arteries. Also, you risk bending the blade some and getting irratic arrow flight. NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER REUSE BLADES. USED BLADES :barf: :barf: :barf:
Old September 28, 2006, 03:01 PM   #5
Spur0701

OK, I'm sold on that....now how abut practiceing with braodheads vs. field points?......I was reading something in F&S where an author was saying there's a big difference.
Old September 28, 2006, 05:52 PM   #6
Clayfish

Most broadheads have practice blades you can buy. You can tune your bow to shoot broadheads and fieldpoints to the same POI as long as they are the same weight. My field points fly to the same place as my sonicheads and my muzzys, all of which are 125g.
Old September 29, 2006, 03:12 PM   #7
castnblast

Here's the scoop on that. I was an x competitive archer, and have shot for 23 years now. I say that not to brag, but to point out I have some experience... You can do a couple of things.
1. Buy extra blades and replace blades after sighting in. Generally, once you resight, all you need to do is move the entire sight until your 20 yd. pin is on. Check by shooting a 30, but you should notice the distance between the pins generally won't change. The rate of drop generally remains the same if using the same weight broadhead.

2. Buy an extra site, sight it in w/ broadheads as mentioned above, and take it off. Practice throughout the season w/ your field tip sight, and put on your broadhead sight when you go to the field.

3. Too much trouble? (yes I know someone is going to hate me for this next comment...but I've used them with great results...so chill) Buy expandable broadheads and don't worry about the whole resighting thing. Yes I've heard the stories, BUT...have you ever heard all the horror stories from someone who ACTUALLY used them? I haven't, and feel they'd be off the market if they were actually as bad as all the people say who haven't ever used them.

I reluctantly bought them when my first son was born for safety reasons. After 4 seasons now, and 9 deer killed, 1 hog and 2 turkeys, and 3 Mouflon rams, and 8 javelina, I'm sold. Last season, I killed 2 javelinas with one shot using an expandable broadhead w/ a carbon arrow. No BS. My wife watched me do it. I do use heavier carbons, I didn't mean to do it, but it was incredible. Went completely through both animals. They are small, but their hide is very tough, not to mention, I nailed the first on right smack in the shoulder. (That's where I aim on them. Their lungs are in the very front of the body cavity).