The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 5, 2000, 08:13 PM   #1
Duke of Lawnchair

Hello,

Does anyone know of a good choke for the M1 Tactical? Currently, at 25yds the spread is about 2' in diamter, give or take one or two inches. I'm using S&B 00Buck, 3" shells.

Thanks,
Jim
Old November 5, 2000, 10:36 PM   #2
GGGLOCK

At 25 yards, the best I can muster is a 12" spread with the IC choke and Federal LE132 out of my M1S90.

Have you tried different load/choke combos?

I've read the Patternmaster chokes(http://www.patternmaster.com) offer a marked improvement, but have yet to try one. Do a search for Patternmaster for more info.
Old November 6, 2000, 08:04 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Before you unload a fair amount of cash on new chokes,you may want to try some different loads. A premium buck load usually groups tighter than the generic stuff,and the copperplated stuff has lots of people singing its praises.A few 5 packs and some patterning time isn't expensive and may give you what you want without major surgery.

If the new ammo still leaves you less than happy, you can then tinker with the chokes, forcing cone,etc.

FYI, my chokeless HD 870 puts my old duty load, generic Win 00, in 20-24" at 25 yards.
Old November 6, 2000, 08:37 AM   #4
CMOS

Agree with Dave here. I've shot the S&B 00 buck in my Benelli with the full choke with even worse results.

It's the shells, believe me. The S&B has proved to have patterns twice as wide as the American made shells I have shot. Get yourself a variety of brands and see what your shotgun likes best.

Then - practice practice practice.

CMOS

------------------
NRA? Good. Now join the GOA!

CMOS's Site
Old November 7, 2000, 02:40 AM   #5
Duke of Lawnchair

Thanks for the input guys! I'm fairly new to "shotgunning" and was fairly disappointed with the benelli's spread patterns. From what I've seen/heard is that the S&B patterns quite largely. I'll definately try out different loads. I did take the time to try out some Winchester game loads, 2 3/4" and had MASSIVE cycling problems.

Thanks!
Jim
Old November 8, 2000, 11:25 AM   #6
Robe

Duke- I use a Briley extended choke tube in my M1 that is a full choke with compensator-type slots in the extended portion just like a handgun compensator. It provided a very tight pattern at 15 yds and a good pattern at 25 yds. too. I can't remember the size of patterns and will look that up before I guess at it. Briley choke tubes are also sold with Beretta's new NWTF (Nat'l Wild Turkey Fed.)version of their model AL390 shotgun they are selling.