The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 25, 2011, 10:09 AM   #1
300magman

Trouble Chambering New Buckshot Shells

Anyone ever have trouble chambering a box of factory shells before? My new (as of 1 year ago, Rem 870) has worked very well so far. Today however I opened a box of new 3.5" magnum federal 18 ball 00 buck and was surprised at how difficult they were to load into the tube....it really took some wiggling and pushing. Then when I went to chamber them, there was some obvious resistance there as well, but the action did close.

I'm wondering if I am going to run into any over pressure issues or difficult extraction when I go to set one of them off.

Any oppinions?

(And yes, my gun does have a 3.5" chamber, its stamped on the gun and fires BlackCloud in that length just fine)
Old October 25, 2011, 10:45 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Since llast 3.5 use, how much 2 3/4 and 3 inch use? Could it possibly be some fouling in the chamber area where shorter shells layed down a build up?

Brent
Old October 25, 2011, 10:51 AM   #3
TheKlawMan

Fouling in the chamber wouldn't affect loading the tube. Is this an 870 Express and what is the capacity of the magazine?
Old October 25, 2011, 11:05 AM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Anyone ever have trouble chambering a box of factory shells before
No one has mentioned trouble packin' the tube...

Brent
Old October 25, 2011, 12:26 PM   #5
TheKlawMan

Loading the Tube

hogdogs, This is what the op said about loading the tube.

Quote:
was surprised at how difficult they were to load into the tube....it really took some wiggling and pushing.
Old October 25, 2011, 05:27 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Give the mag tube a good cleaning and lube. Retry those long shells....
Old October 26, 2011, 12:06 PM   #7
300magman

The gun is actually the waterfowl/turkey combo, digital camo finish, 26" barrel, several chocks (thats what makes it the "combo", Not two barrels) its one of the more expensive 870s -> whether or not they have better finish/quality control than the basic Express versions might be debateable.

As for use, the gun really hasn't had that much, and it has less than a dozen shells through it since its last full cleaning ... brass on the new buckshot just seems slightly oversized, and particularly sharp lipped.

I hate to do it at $4/shell, but I may have to set one off, just to see if they will extract reliably in the field.....hopefully there is no overpressure issue, but since I have become a reloader (rifle only) and seen some examples of what people have done wrong and the resulting damage, I think I have become a touch over cautious with all things firearm related.
Old October 27, 2011, 09:00 PM   #8
columbia_shotguneer

I have had problems with Remington express value packs but I found my chamber was rough in the area nearest to throat. Got it polished up abit in that singleshot H&R of mine. The rest of my shotguns function fine with any brand including the Remmy's.
Old October 28, 2011, 10:03 AM   #9
Couzin

Is the plug in place? I've heard of some issues with the plug length preventing a second 3-1/2" round in the magazine. Supposed to hold three (3-1/2") in the magazine tube w/o the plug. Maybe the buck rounds you have are a little long?