The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old February 11, 2008, 03:00 PM   #1
Boarhunter

Russian Boar with a 9mm?

Folks:

I did something with my Ruger SR-9 that may be a first for this particular model...I killed a 200-250 pound Russian Boar with it this past Saturday. I used Extreme Shock EPR 9mm ammo, and it worked just fine. This letter I sent to Extreme Shock this morning tells the story.... My SR-9 will go with me to the grave, I like it that much!

Boarhunter

Guys:

Your ammo works even better than promoted, and for that I am most impressed and most appreciative.

This past weekend, I was at Caryonah Hunting Lodge in Crossville, Tennessee, a place I go fairly often, with plans to take a Russian Boar with a Magnum Research .45/70 BFR. The gun/cartridge combo is a proven hog-killer and a pleasure to shoot. But I was also packing an early-production 9mm Ruger SR-9 handgun, one I carry for protection purposes and often shoot in local IDPA competition.

Well, I am always interested in making the hunt more "exciting," so when the guide, Matt, pulled a pocket-full of your 9 mm rounds out and suggested I give them a try, I immediately jumped on it (with a little encouragement from my buddies)! I stuffed your ammo into my Ruger and headed off to slay a hog. (Confession: I did take the BFR with me, just in caseā€¦.).

To make a very long and interesting story short, on Saturday afternoon I put a single round of your 9 mm EPR into the side (just behind the shoulder) of an old warrior hog at 25 yards or thereabouts, and sent him to hog heaven! The hog was approximately 200-250 pounds, and our initial inspection suggested that he had suffered a heart attack rather than death by gunshot. We looked and looked and looked for the entry wound, and all we could find was what appeared to be a very small puncture wound where the round would have entered. Surely, that could not have killed the hog. But when we field dressed it, the internal trauma was a sight to see. The EPR created massive damage to the hog's internal organs without exiting. We never found the bullet itself. But it was clear it had done its job.

I am a believer. Although your 9 mm EPR rounds did not make as big an exterior mess as would the .45/70, it kills just as effectively.

Keep up the good work.

mf
Old February 11, 2008, 03:27 PM   #2
W. C. Quantrill

In this state, 9mm is not legal for taking game. IMHO, it is not adequate for hog sized game. You might have been lucky this time but the .45-70 is legal and wiser to use.

Out this way, those hogs are called Great Plains Grizzly for a reason. You wound one and he turns on you, you might as well kiss your sweet hindend goodby.
Old February 11, 2008, 03:38 PM   #3
Boarhunter

Having killed Russian hogs for many years, I am familiar with their unruly attitude. And what the Extreme Shock round did to that hog was no fluke. It is impressive stuff, killing just as quickly and as effectively as my warm .45/70 reloads (without the external mess). I am sold on the combo.

Boarhunter
Old February 11, 2008, 07:14 PM   #4
Lawyer Daggit

Great result but taking the gun to the grave is probably not the best analogy.

Te He,
Old February 18, 2008, 04:32 PM   #5
Moloch

How much do they pay ya for making that much advertisment?
Old February 18, 2008, 04:45 PM   #6
Boarhunter

Moloch,

...I wish.... Not only has Extreme Shock not paid me for the ad, I have yet to even get any acknowledgment of my letter!

Boarhunter
Old February 18, 2008, 05:17 PM   #7
JBriggs

I love my SR9 even more now!!! Never even thought about hunting boar with it.
Old February 18, 2008, 05:31 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

While I would use anything handy to save life or limb from wild hog attack, I wouldn't ever intend to use a 9mm (even if it had exploding bullets) on a hog that is loose. .40 cal is the smallest I would have on my hip but have since decided that with hog doggin' by the time I am aware I am in danger there is not enuff time to decide, draw, aim, fire... Until you see the damage done to dogs by hogs you may not believe me. Until you see the speed one can run down a human looking for a tree to climb you may not fathom the importance of DISTANCE!
Brent
Old February 18, 2008, 05:33 PM   #9
oldbillthundercheif

So you went out hog hunting with a 9mm without checking to see if your ammunition would shoot to your normal point-of-aim? Because some hog guide had some fancy-pants ammunition supplied to him by a immensely disreputable company?

That's beyond my comprehension.

Last edited by Art Eatman; February 18, 2008 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Personal Attack Removed
Old February 18, 2008, 06:47 PM   #10
Jimro

Is it just me...

Or does Boarhunter's story read a lot like this one?

http://www.gunblast.com/ExtremeShock.htm

The ammo is the same, the location is the same, the pistol is different and number of rounds expended is different.

Maybe there is something to this, maybe not.

Jimro
Old February 18, 2008, 08:24 PM   #11
Musketeer

Given the ridiculous hype associated with "Extreme Shock" its proven failure to perform in the Box O Truth and also on 10" Gelatin when tested alongside DoubleTap's ammo and the possible (in some people's eyes) foolishness and impropriety of hunting something like a 200+ pound Russian Boar with a 9mm I need more proof to repeat this post.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old February 18, 2008, 09:07 PM   #12
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Enuf...
Closed Thread