The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 4, 2000, 12:29 PM   #1
bobstreit

I was wondering if I could get some help. I am looking at purchasing a side by side shotgun, 1 trigger, 12ga, that will shoot slugs, steel shot and lead. I shoot an 870 right now that does all that and I love, it, but want a double barrel. I am looking at a Baikal, because it is very reasonably priced. Is this a good gun, and if not, what would bee a good bun reasonably priced???
Old December 4, 2000, 01:00 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Inexpensive shotguns oft work for light duty, but will not last generations like good shotguns, including the 870.

You might look around for a Savage. The old 311 model is around used,and it's very durable and will fulfill most missions. I've no experience with the Baikal.
Old December 4, 2000, 03:45 PM   #3
JK

Another great side by side is the Browning BSS. Great fit and finish. Be sure to check it out John K
Old December 4, 2000, 09:35 PM   #4
Kingcreek

I like the Browning BSS also (I have the 12 and 20g) but they went out of production several years ago. You can sometimes find them on used racks. I don't believe they are rated for steel shot.
Old December 4, 2000, 10:09 PM   #5
bobstreit

Thanks guys for all your help, but, I am looking for something that is rated for steel shot for sure, and slugs. I know not all are really rated for slugs, but I use them in my 870 and it works just fine. Let me know.
Old December 4, 2000, 10:37 PM   #6
Nevada Fitch

I had an American Arms 10ga. for while.I used in for duck hunting.It was a great pass shooting gun.It was fine for steel shot.My advice would be to get a 12ga. in this brand and have a gunsmith put Remington 700 sights on it.That is what I have done on several shotguns.Than you can sight it in for about anything.I made some pretty long shots at ducks with it because I knew exactly where my shot pattern was hitting at 40yds and beyond.And you know what the real benefit to this kind of hunting was for me? After I did this for a couple of years I found out that shooting running deer and coyotes out in the open was a whole lot easier.This kind of shooting taught me a whole lot about leading moving game of anykind.
Old December 5, 2000, 04:40 PM   #7
bobstreit

Thanks for all your help guys, it is definitely a good start. Has anyone heard of a Stoeger or a Baikal? how are they??