The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 11, 2012, 08:34 PM   #1
Drummer101

Thought of my "prefect" bolt action, what is yours?

308 or 257 Weatherby caliber.

Matte black barrel and receiver
Leaf slights with a hooded front fiber post (one that has 50 yard increments (50 to 400 yards) and is adjustable for windage)
For forehand of the stock looks like the evolution stock (like this one http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/...int-Evolution/) but the back into a tradition ambidextrous pistol grip (not detached)
Adjustable comb stock
3-4 inch recoil pad (does not hurt, bad pun)
fluted free float barrel
double stack mag in the style of the Lee Enfield
Drilled and taped for a scope and a low profile rail on the top of the barrel for a scout style scope (if I choose to do that at some point)
Have not decided if I would want a horizontal right hand bolt (think mosin) or a tradition left handed bolt
Controlled Feed.
20 inch barrel

Estimated $5000 to $10000 for full custom build

Or start with this,
http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-550-fs/

New stock
New front sight
Maybe custom mags
New bolt handle
Flute the barrel
Move back sight back and insert that forward scope rail

What is your build?

Last edited by Drummer101; August 11, 2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old August 11, 2012, 09:26 PM   #2
shurshot

Remington 700 BDL in .270 Winchester, 3X9 Leupold. From woodchucks to Moose, it's covered.
Old August 11, 2012, 10:29 PM   #3
the rifleer

Just a rifle that is around 6 or 7 pounds, has a really crisp trigger, very accurate and has a smooth bolt and a nice walnut stock. It doesn't take a whole lot to make me a happy camper.
Old August 11, 2012, 10:36 PM   #4
30Cal

Quote:
Just a rifle that is around 6 or 7 pounds, has a really crisp trigger, very accurate and has a smooth bolt and a nice walnut stock.
Sign me up for one of those.
Old August 11, 2012, 10:43 PM   #5
Gunnut17

A SMLE with a scope mount.
Old August 11, 2012, 11:03 PM   #6
taylorce1

Wow! You have a lot going on with your dream build. What are your plans for using the rifle, hunting or targets? Building a custom rifle is about compromise and finding a balance between what you want and what you need to make a functioning rifle.

Forget the .257 Bee if you want a 20" barrel and go with a .250 Savage, a Weatherby cartridge in a short barrel will be part flamethrower and not best .25-06 velocities. Remember at least 24" barrels for large capacity cartridges all the way out to 30". 20" is fine for a .308 Win sized cases.

I could see a scout mount on a .308 Win but not a .257 Bee. Plus if you want to run a scout setup on either rifle you are going to have to loose the express sight (folding leaf sight) one or the other because they would mount in the same place on your barrel. If you want a scout setup run a peep sight on the rear of the receiver that is windage and elevation adjustable.

You're talking a custom build for an express sight with EIGHT folding leaves. It would be little "busy" so to speak, and would require a very long base to mount them on. What is wrong with 100 yard increments, and minimizing your leaves to four? I've never seen a setup for the rear express sights to be windage adjustable that is usually done by moving the front sight with an express setup. I'd lose the fiber front sight as well in favor of a thinner front sight post with a flip up ivory bead for low light conditions. The thinner front sight will allow for more precise aiming during daylight conditions.

Next find a left-hand M70 Winchester Classic or custom action like a Montana 1999 or Granite Mountain Mauser 98. If you can get one imported you can get a left-hand Mauser 98 from Zastava, think old Charles Daly and Interarms Mark X. You're straight bolt will work fine with the scout configuration but not a conventional mounted scope since you want both options for mounting a scope.

For your stock your best bet is a wood or wood laminate stock. Get something like a Richard's Microfit that has a ton of extra wood on their semi inletted stocks. Get to reshaping or have a GS do it to your tastes. You can have an adjustable comb put in any wood stock as well.

Here is how I see what you posted, you want two sepetate rifles. A scout set up with peep sights in .308 Win and a LR hunter with adjustable comb, express sights, conventional scope and 26" barrel in .257 Bee. I'm betting you can get either one built for less than 5K. If you can find the right deal on LH actions I'm betting you could build both for around 6K.

Last edited by taylorce1; August 11, 2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old August 11, 2012, 11:14 PM   #7
Drummer101

It would be a hunting with light plinking in off season.

I think I am set on the 308 caliber for variety of loads and I like the size of a 20 inch barrel.

And the scope is a pretty low priority, but it would be pretty easy to get a second bolt made with a bent handle (if right handed) otherwise a tradition bolt if a lefty. 100 yard increments would work but this is a custom

But a big part of it is the looks, a Moisin will do what I need it to do but this would other would also look good (to me) doing it and have more potential I would think.
Old August 11, 2012, 11:24 PM   #8
taylorce1

Here is a 3 leaf express sight, and the front sight post I was talking about.
Old August 11, 2012, 11:36 PM   #9
Drummer101

I was thinking of a ladder sight like the EnField or a Mosin with this kind of post in the front, http://www.smith-sights.com/

I like the ladder because it is so easy to slid up and down depending upon the range, but I would get a new one made so that it would be dependable and accurate when adjusting the range (never really trusted the mil surps for that kind of thing).

But I also like the one you linked to, but like most things I would have to try the back sight to see how easily it could adjust ranges.

Kind of similar to what I would want,
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Gri...n_id=100267268

Change out the stock and shorted the barrel.

Last edited by Drummer101; August 11, 2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old August 11, 2012, 11:58 PM   #10
jephthai

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rifleer View Post
Just a rifle that is around 6 or 7 pounds, has a really crisp trigger, very accurate and has a smooth bolt and a nice walnut stock. It doesn't take a whole lot to make me a happy camper.
Don't forget "low recoil" too.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
Old August 12, 2012, 12:10 AM   #11
Wyosmith

This one for me.

It's not finished yet as I still need to get the checkering and engraving finished, but I have not had time to do it yet. When I make guns for myself I am not getting paid, so that causes me to put mine aside for long periods of time
But this is my idea of the perfect bolt action hunting rifle.
It's built on a 98 Mauser with a super accurate barrel chambered to
only .001" headspace. It has a very good trigger that breaks super clean at 3.25 pounds and has NO backlash. It is a 270 Winchester and is zeroed with 150 grain bullets at 250 yards with the scope. The iron sights have one standing blade and one folding blade. The standing blade is zeroed at 200 and the folder at 400.
The wood is a piece of English walnut that was purchased by an old friend that got it right from Rigby in England in 46 after the war. He carried it around with him for years and in 1986 he gave it to me after he made me promise I'd make a rifle for myself on it, and never sell that rifle.
I love this rifle. I am going to do an 8 point checkering pattern on it with Mullard borders and I will also do full coverage on the floor plate in Class B engraving and then do 50%-65% coverage on the trigger guard bow and the forward tang of the bottom metal. Then it will be done.
Old August 12, 2012, 12:50 AM   #12
lefteyedom

260 Remington

Look at 260 Remington. It will do what you want from a 20" barrel.

As always, build what makes YOU happy

My newest project is a $100, 98 Mauser. The idea is a to produce a rifle that is bare bones sporterized. Current, stock is a cut down mil-stock, there is a 4X scope with a 1/32 bolt clearance and military safety is blocked by the scope.

The plan,
Replace 8X57 with a new 7X57 barrel
Replace the military trigger with Bold trigger with slide safety.
Replace the Military shroud and safety with a commercial shroud
Bend shave the bolt handle for more Scope clearance
Reshape the forestock and glass bed the action.

Total cost should be about $250,
Old August 12, 2012, 03:51 AM   #13
nimbleVagrant

I already built my "perfect" bolt gun when I had the chance. Remington 700 5R in .308win stuck in an Accuracy International 2.0 chassis with Timney trigger. Topped it off with a 10x USO with an MOA reticle. It's everything I need in a target rifle.

As far as something like a woods gun, that little Ruger GSR looks about as slick as snot and would fit my bill about to a T. Compact, detachable magazine, rock solid mauser action and that nice long radius peep sight, and you can get 'em in lefty. Yep, I can see my next tax refund vanishing already.
Old August 12, 2012, 07:52 AM   #14
WV_gunner

Savage 110 in .243
Old August 12, 2012, 08:37 AM   #15
kraigwy

I googled "perfect bolt action" and it came up with a picture of a Model 70 Wichester Featherweight, (blued with wood stock) in 270 Win.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 12, 2012, 08:45 AM   #16
Jack O'Conner

Remington 660 carbine in .308 because:
- exceptionally well balanced rifle
- accurate
- fast handling
- hard hitting at reasonable hunting distances

Jack

Old August 12, 2012, 09:26 AM   #17
taylorce1

Quote:
Kind of similar to what I would want,
*http://www.gunsinternational.com/Gri...n_id=100267268

Change out the stock and shorted the barrel.
There are plenty of those old Enfield sporters around and some of the jungle carbines are .308. However I think someone screwed up the pictures that rifle you posted the link to isn't a G&H Springfield sporter. You should be able to pick up a sporter Enfield like that for around $200 in .303 Brit.
Old August 12, 2012, 10:15 AM   #18
trublu

My Remington LTR in .308
Old August 12, 2012, 11:27 AM   #19
OJ

Unable to resist -

It was the 22 single shot I got for my 6th birthday in 1932 and it took more rabbits than any gun ever - somehow in a couple of wars, med school, post grad training in surgery, it got lost - but will forever be first in my memory.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
Old August 12, 2012, 08:15 PM   #20
jmr40

Quote:
I googled "perfect bolt action" and it came up with a picture of a Model 70 Wichester Featherweight, (blued with wood stock) in 270 Win.
I almost agree with you. I came up with the same rifle with a few modern improvements. Mine is 30-06, but in my opinion there ain't enough difference to matter, I'd probably be just as happy with a 270.

It'd be hard to improve on this for me.

http://s1129.photobucket.com/albums/...targets009.jpg

These were the 1st 3 shots fired from the rifle at 100 yards as I zeroed the scope on the first range trip.

http://s1129.photobucket.com/albums/...t=guns1008.jpg

Classic Stainless Winchester 70 Featherweight, 30-06. McMillan Edge stock, Leupold 2.5-8X36 scope. (The Redfield in the photo has since been replaced) The gun weighs 7.5 lbs scoped and ready to hunt and consistently shoots under 1/2". Light enough to carry up any mountain, heavy enough to shoot well and in a chambering I can use for anything in North America and most of the world.

Stainless construction, tough as nails stock, CRF and one of the most bulletproof actions and triggers made means reliability. I have the targets to prove the accuracy.
Old August 12, 2012, 09:11 PM   #21
Nathan

What am I doing with it? I want this one in 458 Lott next:

or

or
Old August 15, 2012, 12:24 PM   #22
FC-Fan

Perhaps you can find here the right thing:

http://www.waffen-faude.de/angebote1.html

This gunsmith ist building the finest 98er Rifles with new Systems from .243 to .500NE.
Old August 15, 2012, 01:29 PM   #23
gak

Krgwy said:
" I googled "perfect bolt action" and it came up with a picture of a Model 70 Wichester Featherweight, (blued with wood stock) in 270 Win"
...And jmr40 ratified this later.

Krgwy, you took the words right out of my mouth. More specifically ca 1995-2000 (CRF but before they lessened the wood) w/ red butt pad--just look that much more classic than the recent thicker/black pad FN's.
A .270 guy for 45 years, I also think the same in 7mm-08 would also be just dandy and the perfect "mountain rifle," and may well be my next gun.
Old August 15, 2012, 04:52 PM   #24
wpsdlrg

OK, I'll play.

For me, a variation of the classic Mauser 98 pattern. Exact calibre is not that important.....so say something between 7x57 and 35 Whelen. Wait, gee, the 7.92 x 57JS fits that criteria, so let's go with that. As for barrel, a medium weight barrel no longer than 20" (I like carbines). Sights - IRONS - either something similar to classic Express Sights, or my own forward aperture/ rear U-notch design. Finish - classic deep bluing, though I have nothing against parking or any of the more modern finishes. Stock - GOT to be wood - so, let's say walnut, with a nice classic shape, with the forend terminatiing in a nicely shaped schnabel. Action details - classic Mauser 98, with the possible exception of a different (more user friendly) safety.

Hmmm. Well, I guess I've just described my own Yugo M48 sporter carbine. Really, for MY taste, no one has ever come up with anything better. "Old-fashioned" it may be.....but it does for me nicely.
Old August 15, 2012, 07:18 PM   #25
coyota1

If you want my opinion, I like the Remington 721/722. Choose your caliber for your purpose. I personally want a 222.