The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 18, 2012, 08:49 AM   #1
hoobens

Beretta Gold Rush .357 Pump Action

Hello,
I just bought a LNIB Beretta Gold Rush .357. I was curious to know about other owners' experiences with this gun. I had some feed problems with .357 JHP ammo but .38 Special FMJ seem to cycle perfectly well. Just wondering why the barrel only reads .357 ...
Old August 18, 2012, 12:18 PM   #2
taylorce1

Quote:
Hello,
I just bought a LNIB Beretta Gold Rush .357. I was curious to know about other owners' experiences with this gun. I had some feed problems with .357 JHP ammo but .38 Special FMJ seem to cycle perfectly well. Just wondering why the barrel only reads .357 ...
How many different types of .357 ammunition have you tried? You might find some works better than others in your rifle if you haven't tried many yet. My guess is it is a length issue with the cartridge that is causing your feeding problems with a .357 and not the .38's.

If you look further down the page in this forum you might see a post about Steve's Guns, he works on the Cowboy Action style rifles he might be able to tell you what the problem is. Or you could send it in to him to have him work it over and make it operate smoother. I've never used his service and not recommending one way or the other just that there are gunsmiths out there that specialize in the kind of rifles you bought that can tell you what is going on.

How many revolvers in .357 Mag have you seen marked for .38 Spcl as well? I think it is a given that the majority of shooters know that .357 S&W Magnums shoot .38 Special so most manufacturers don't bother marking the both. Plus I'd be willing to bet if you read the owners manual it says what ammunition is safe to shoot in your rifle as well, that is if you got one with your rifle purchase.